2013 NHC in Philly! Who's going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larzean said:
So I know I'm way early, but when do they announce the dates and location for the next one? Hope you all have fun :)

Nope, Grand Rapids MI two weeks earlier next year. See ya there!!

The pork roast sandwich from Dinics was pretty darn good. It is in reading terminal. The ruben we had from Herschel's was amazing last night too.

ForumRunner_20130628_115059.png

The pork roast sandwich from Dinics was pretty darn good. It is in reading terminal. The ruben we had from Herschel's was amazing last night too.

Ha- but look at this! Mussels and Houblon Chouffee (yesterday) at Eulogy:
DSCN1330.jpg

That was so good I think I'll go back tomorrow!

My husband called early this morning and left a message. Apparently, some of the texts and photos intended for me went to his phone (my old number). He wondered about one text that said "Party at room XXX" from about 1 AM, and a photo with a "bunch of people with name tags". :D

Sorry I missed lunch today. I was waiting on ECY to get dropped off. Got some fresh bugs!! Say hi if you see me today, gray long sleeve 'depot street brewing' shirt with a train logo and a Winchester hat.

Sorry I missed lunch today. I was waiting on ECY to get dropped off. Got some fresh bugs!! Say hi if you see me today, gray long sleeve 'depot street brewing' shirt with a train logo and a Winchester hat.

I'll be wearing an orange volunteer shirt during the keynote address, and then should be in a bright blue Tribute brewing company shirt for Club Night.

any word on new stuff from Blichmann??

Yeah, he showed off his new vertical system. It has 2 pots, one on top of each other and it is similar to a recirculating BIAB. It came in 2 sizes, 15 gallon and I dont recall the other size. I also saw an E-brewpot. It looked like it had a mini tower of power hooked up to it. Pretty cool stuff.

Best picture from pro night. Wish I could have snapped a picture of the beer fountain from Laganitas last night.

ForumRunner_20130628_173633.png

Pliney, FW16, RR Sup, and Cantillion on draft at Strangeloves. About .3 miles from the convention.

TBBrewer said:
Pliney, FW16, RR Sup, and Cantillion on draft at Strangeloves. About .3 miles from the convention.

Missed the cantillon, but Oxbow Loretta is making me happy. Off to club night after this.

image-3244215222.jpg

Nice. I enjoyed the FW 16 before the club night. Pliny and RR sup were gone by the time we got there. They had bottles of FW 15 and Thomas Hardy 09 for sale too.

The SWmBO (hophead) found a falconers, cascade, Citra, Nelson, + at the FBI booth. Needless to say I barely got a sip.

Anyone meeting up sat? We're jacks lack of lunch plans, but thinking of hitting the public market.

FYI if you're not going to the banquet, Parc Brasserie and Morimoto's were A-Mazing (and I'll be broke for the next month now but it was worth it).
image-369819718.jpg

If any of you guys have interest in hops, chit chatting with Stan Hieronomus is the most fascinating thing you can do at the conference. He is really a spectacular guy.

toast26 said:
If any of you guys have interest in hops, chit chatting with Stan Hieronomus is the most fascinating thing you can do at the conference. He is really a spectacular guy.

I'm really hoping I run into him. I'm fascinated by biotransformation.

Anybody witness the exploding commemorative cans? I guess they pulled the cans they handed out at registration due to quite a few exploding. I looked at the 2 we have and they look like the are ready to pop.

I had a Lou Pepe that was great. I also brought some yeast if anyone is up for a trade. Ecy, Bruery, my house culture. I served my spontaneous coolship beer at club night. Hope I got to meet some of you even if I didn't know it.

TBBrewer said:
Anybody witness the exploding commemorative cans? I guess they pulled the cans they handed out at registration due to quite a few exploding. I looked at the 2 we have and they look like the are ready to pop.

I did unfortunately, and I believe I was the first to experience it. I checked in Thursday morning at 7:30 then went to work for the day, on the drive into work it exploded all over my windshield and all over me. I tweeted a photo to Round Guys, the AHA and the company who canned it called Mobile Canning or something.

They were all apologetic at the time but basically thought I got the one defective can that made it through. 2 hours later the same thing happened to my buddy, then I met 4 people at Pro night who had the same issue.

It's really ashame bc Round Guys is quite good, but they are very new so I hope it doesn't hurt them.

ChugachBrewing said:
I had a Lou Pepe that was great. I also brought some yeast if anyone is up for a trade. Ecy, Bruery, my house culture. I served my spontaneous coolship beer at club night. Hope I got to meet some of you even if I didn't know it.

I think I had that beer, were you wearing a tank top? If so, very nice beer and what's the story behind it.

If you're the same guy I poured you a dark sour from the beer engine later on made by one of our members.

Last night was awesome, beers were very good. clubs should be very proud of yourselves for the show and beers you poured. I think I caught yooper's headache too. might have been from the body check she layed on me...you are a trip woman!!

drinking with palmer was one of many highlights for me along with Dave Pyle and stefin clapham's sours!

looking forward to one more party. see ya there!!

stonebrewer

Mine just was sitting on the desk here and when I picked it up, the bottom bulged out and I dropped it into the trashcan where it exploded. Heard it was sour, but didn't try it.

Looks like Monks is pouring Pliney, Sup, Dam, and one other RR now.

Yeah, we drank a Damnation last night then the Pliny was tapped. We spent $90 on Pliny at our table. It was fun!

Last night was awesome, beers were very good. clubs should be very proud of yourselves for the show and beers you poured. I think I caught yooper's headache too. might have been from the body check she layed on me...you are a trip woman!!

drinking with palmer was one of many highlights for me along with Dave Pyle and stefin clapham's sours!

looking forward to one more party. see ya there!!

stonebrewer

But.............you said something like "Could you give me a body check just to see?". I didn't realize you weren't "set" and that you'd fly so far and take out all of those other people. I apologized profusely to them, but they were pissed.

You flew really far for such a tall guy. I was surprised at the air you got.

was the beer atleast good?

No it was good at all.

My cans look okay so far...

Your can is not ok, open it immediately. I got a response from We Can Mobile canning who canned the beer, he confirmed with the head brewer at Round Guys that the beer was over carbonated. It was not due to a bad seam in the can.

I did unfortunately, and I believe I was the first to experience it. I checked in Thursday morning at 7:30 then went to work for the day, on the drive into work it exploded all over my windshield and all over me. I tweeted a photo to Round Guys, the AHA and the company who canned it called Mobile Canning or something.

They were all apologetic at the time but basically thought I got the one defective can that made it through. 2 hours later the same thing happened to my buddy, then I met 4 people at Pro night who had the same issue.

It's really ashame bc Round Guys is quite good, but they are very new so I hope it doesn't hurt them.

That really sucks. Glad it was not any worse.

We Can Monile canning sent me a DM on twitter and said that Round Guys confirmed the beer was over carbonated and it was NOT an issue with the seam on the cans.

That's actually dissapointing to me as Im a Round Guys fan, sounds like they rushed this beer into cans. Bad form.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but the beer is a Pilsner fermented warm. I asked them what the reasoning was on that but they stopped responding. My guess is its a rush job.

I think I had that beer, were you wearing a tank top? If so, very nice beer and what's the story behind it.

If you're the same guy I poured you a dark sour from the beer engine later on made by one of our members.

Yup that was me. The Lou Pepe was a cantillon beer I had (as in drank) at Monks.
The beer I served was a spontaneously fermented ale, a Flanders red, and a Petit sour.

Thanks for the heads up on the cans - we almost flew with two of them :eek:. That would have been ugly.

Club night was awesome - props to the Ohio brewers with all the experimental IPAs, and o FBI who crammed every one of the SWMBO's fav hops into a single beer.

Monks and Eulogy were pretty awesome. I'll definitely be back to Philly for more food and beer.

Lastly, props to untapped - their servers held up pretty damn well given the number of checking in this weekend :)

Latest posts

Back