2013 NHC in Philly! Who's going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HokieHomeBrewer said:
Don't listen to this guy. Not only do they make amazing beer, 3/4th's of the people that work there are hipsters.

Guy is 0/2

Hey, feel free to try it. Just trying to help people find a good place to eat/drink while they're in town.

This sounds interesting, but hadn't heard about it. I have the AHA spreadsheet, but is there a list of other activities somewhere?

It's a "preconference event". I thought I had mentioned it to you a long time ago, but I guess I didn't. They added another bus, so there are still some tickets from what I can tell: http://mdhomebrewers.com/2013precon/dfh.htm

It's warm in the UP today, nearly 80 I think.

I'm sitting in the brewery, brewing an IPA and Bob came in and asked me if I wanted a weather forecast for Philadelphia.

I said "sure" and he said 90-95 degrees when I arrive!

I'm packing jeans, and t-shirts, but now I may have to rethink that strategy.

Yoopers don't do hot weather! I'm melting already, just thinking about it. :drunk:

Well, life changes plans...my mom passed away this morning so I'll be spending the week in Phoenix instead of Philly. Sorry I'll miss everyone.

Well, life changes plans...my mom passed away this morning so I'll be spending the week in Phoenix instead of Philly. Sorry I'll miss everyone.

Really sorry to hear that Denny.

Denny, sorry to hear about your mother.

Yoopers don't do hot weather! I'm melting already, just thinking about it.

I know what you mean. I lived in Michigan most of my life. Transfered here near Philly several years ago. The heat still gets to me. It also gets very humid which makes it even worse.

My AC works overtime to keep me cool.

Oh, Denny, I'm so sorry to hear this. I just lost my dad a few months ago, so I can definitely understand how you feel.

We'll miss you!

Be safe traveling to Phoenix. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I'm coming on the train from Lancaster. It is a no-brainer for me as I'm from there and with the crazy parking situation, tolls, gas, etc. I'll take the train and let Amtrak do the driving. Plus its quicker.

I'm super-pumped for this. I was thinking about making a lanyard or something with my forum handles displayed so people will know who I am. Not sure if this is dumb or not.

I think this is a great idea. I'd love to be able to say hello to other HBT'ers.

I'd love to see a HBT meetup or hospitality suite during the conference. Great chance to put faces to handles.

I think this is a great idea. I'd love to be able to say hello to other HBT'ers.
Look for this on club night. I'll be there. I may be under the table by then. In that case, my wife will serve you a beer. :D

The ANNiHiLATED!

Canerator5.jpg

If you guys want to, we could set up a time and day to meet up briefly and set up some dinner plans (or lunch) so we could have an HBT meet-up.

I have a couple of things I volunteered to do, but it won't take up lunch or dinner times.

I'm going to the DFH tour on Wednesday, and then on The final round judging doesn't start until 8:30 AM Thursday, so I figure that I might as well start the week out right!

The single session is going to be interesting. That's a lot of judges in one place!

I got Cat. 22 (Smoked/Wood Aged) - pretty excited. What are you judging?

If you guys want to, we could set up a time and day to meet up briefly and set up some dinner plans (or lunch) so we could have an HBT meet-up.

I have a couple of things I volunteered to do, but it won't take up lunch or dinner times.

I think a HBT meet and greet would be fun! To me, Thursday lunch or Friday after the last seminar both look like good times.

On a seperate note, do any locals have good late night (non-cheesestreak) drunk food suggestions?

I think a HBT meet and greet would be fun! To me, Thursday lunch or Friday after the last seminar both look like good times.

On a seperate note, do any locals have good late night (non-cheesestreak) drunk food suggestions?

I'm not sure what time we'll get done judging, but we're supposed to be able to do it just in a morning session this year, with the meads and cider (and BOS) rounds in the afternoon. Since I"m only judging the AM session, I'd be available until it's time for the opening toast (where I'm pouring so I can't be late!).

Friday, I only have to be "working" during the Keynote Address, where again I'm pouring. Lunch or dinner those days would be great!

If anybody wants my number, please PM me and I'll give it to you so we can get together!

I like both of these. It'd be cool to meet other HBT folks, plus since my wife & I don't eat a lot of meat I'd be happy to hear of some non-cheesesteak options. Eating is a key part of our don't-puke-on-strangers-literally-or-verbally game plan...

I am not going to the conference but live very close and would love to meet up with fellow HBT'ers. If you set something up I would love to put a face to some of the people that post here.

I'm also not attending the conference but would be very interested in attending an HBT meet-up if I can. Thursday would work better for me, but only use that as a tie breaker since I don't know if I could make it anyway. :)

I'm also not attending the conference but would be very interested in attending an HBT meet-up if I can. Thursday would work better for me, but only use that as a tie breaker since I don't know if I could make it anyway. :)

As i've mentioned a few times because I'm so freaking excited about it, Mark and I are meeting up at Tired Hands Weds if anyone else wants to stop by.

i dont know if its available in philly but try to get a real NJ taylor ham and cheese breakfast sandwich if you can while your so close

I like both of these. It'd be cool to meet other HBT folks, plus since my wife & I don't eat a lot of meat I'd be happy to hear of some non-cheesesteak options. Eating is a key part of our don't-puke-on-strangers-literally-or-verbally game plan...

Initially I thought at least half the people attending the NHC are on this forum, but from the few responses in this thread I may be way off or they're just not very (re-)active.

Yes, it would be nice to have an HBT pow-wow. I'm pinning my handle and avatar on my badge. Watch for the Lizard.

There are many food options in walkable distance, just finding the right one can be mind boggling. In case you're interested, 2 blocks north from the Marriott, Arch Street, is the center of "Chinatown" a 6 block area.

As i've mentioned a few times because I'm so freaking excited about it, Mark and I are meeting up at Tired Hands Weds if anyone else wants to stop by.

I'd like to check out Tired Hands too. What time are you looking at? BNA starts around 7 I think, but we could be a little late.

Also, it sounds like several of us are not doing the Awards Banquet on Saturday. If that's the case, perhaps we can do a HBT dinner meet?

Initially I thought at least half the people attending the NHC are on this forum, but from the few responses in this thread I may be way off or they're just not very (re-)active.

Yes, it would be nice to have an HBT pow-wow. I'm pinning my handle and avatar on my badge. Watch for the Lizard.

There are many food options in walkable distance, just finding the right one can be mind boggling. In case you're interested, 2 blocks north from the Marriott, Arch Street, is the center of "Chinatown" a 6 block area.

I was planning on going to chinatown on Tuesday evening for dinner (alone, unless someone wants to join me). Does that sound reasonable, for a little old lady to walk there and back for dinner?

It should be an early night for me, since I'm leaving here at 4 AM (ugh) for my flight to Philly.

I used to have a t-shirt with my avatar/name on the back, but I can't find it.

I guess I should make something for my lanyard? I really want to meet as many HBT'ers as I can- as I still call you guys my "imaginary friends"!

I was planning on going to chinatown on Tuesday evening for dinner (alone, unless someone wants to join me). Does that sound reasonable, for a little old lady to walk there and back for dinner?

It should be an early night for me, since I'm leaving here at 4 AM (ugh) for my flight to Philly.

There are two resturants called vetinam, one is good, one is bad. I forget which one is the good one :(

The area was always fairly safe, but I haven't been there in the past 6 years, and things can change.
As always, be city wise! If by yourself, try to avoid handbags and behave as you know where you're going. It is always best to be with a small group or (male) companion. Although the police station is 2 blocks away, it doesn't make it safer.

Also there's a big mall (The Gallery) on Arch, between 9th and 10th.

Leaving early is always good, you get to spend the whole day at your destination. At least you're not driving.

I'd like to check out Tired Hands too. What time are you looking at? BNA starts around 7 I think, but we could be a little late.

Also, it sounds like several of us are not doing the Awards Banquet on Saturday. If that's the case, perhaps we can do a HBT dinner meet?

They open at 4. So I'll probably be there about 3:45 with my sanitized growlers looking like a big ol beer nerd. :D

Saturday night dinner sounds like a fun idea. Not doing the banquet either. Here's the no 1 Chinese place on Yelp. Dang I love to eat. Only thing I don't like about living here is that there is nowhere to eat.

They open at 4. So I'll probably be there about 3:45 with my sanitized growlers looking like a big ol beer nerd. :D

Saturday night dinner sounds like a fun idea. Not doing the banquet either. Here's the no 1 Chinese place on Yelp. Dang I love to eat. Only thing I don't like about living here is that there is nowhere to eat.

What about Triumph Brewing on Saturday evening? It's a long walking distance, but if the weather is nice we can walk it (or share a cab). I've never been there, but I heard about it somewhere and wondered about it.

Back