2013 NHC in Philly! Who's going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be there pouring on Club Night with the Ithaca Practitioners of Alemaking. It's our first time at an event this size and we're very psyched. I think we have about 15 kegs plus a bunch of bottles. See ya'll there!

I'm not attending but I'm a Philly native. If you've never been here, check out Monk's Cafe. Short cab ride from the hotel. You can walk to Nodding Head Brewery from there. Both are worth checking out, among many, many others. If you like real English ale, check out Dandelion. Pricy, but nothing's cheap in Center City.

You can also get a train from underneath the hotel to three good spots in the burbs. Forrest and Main is a very short walk from the Ambler station stop. The name is the address for this place. Same line 10 minutes later will take you to North Wales, home of Prism Brewing - unique place with beer to match. Another 5 minutes from there is the Lansdale stop and Round Guys Brewing. Never been, but have heard good things. Beer crawl by train! You'll want the Lansdale/Doylestown line.

Anybody needs info or insight, let me know. Enjoy the conference!

Since 3400 beer geeks are going to be in town at the same time, I'd say your only chance to check out Monk's and any other spot for that matter, is Wednesday or Sunday. Monks is a nightmare to get a seat in on most days when a beer convention is not in town.

Bobby_M said:
Since 3400 beer geeks are going to be in town at the same time, I'd say your only chance to check out Monk's and any other spot for that matter, is Wednesday or Sunday. Monks is a nightmare to get a seat in on most days when a beer convention is not in town.

Lunch crowd isn't so bad. They open at 11:30. Liquid lunch.

Anybody have good leads on parking? I know there's a discount posted on the AHA website but I'm concerned that they might fill up and thus would need a backup plan.

Barnesie said:
Anybody have good leads on parking? I know there's a discount posted on the AHA website but I'm concerned that they might fill up and thus would need a backup plan.

11th and Arch, 12th and Filbert. Or you could just let the hotel valet it for you. No matter what, it's going to cost you. Judging by your avatar I'm guessing you're from the DC area. If so, consider the train from Union Station to 30th Street Station in Philly. From there, it's a short cab ride. Philly is a very walkable city, so you shouldn't have any problems getting around.

11th and Arch, 12th and Filbert. Or you could just let the hotel valet it for you. No matter what, it's going to cost you. Judging by your avatar I'm guessing you're from the DC area. If so, consider the train from Union Station to 30th Street Station in Philly. From there, it's a short cab ride. Philly is a very walkable city, so you shouldn't have any problems getting around.

I've taken the train many times up for work, so I'm familiar with that route but I'm planning to carpool. If I can get into the discounted lot then it will be less then one train ticket, if I can't then it will be slightly more then one ticket split between two people.

Barnesie said:
I've taken the train many times up for work, so I'm familiar with that route but I'm planning to carpool. If I can get into the discounted lot then it will be less then one train ticket, if I can't then it will be slightly more then one ticket split between two people.

Try the Phila Parking Authority website. You can compare/contrast lots in certain areas:

Philapark dot org slash locator.

First timer here as well, and absurdly excited. Our club, BARF out of SE Virginia, will be pouring at the Liberty Well on Thu from 4 to 6 and then during Club Night, too. We'll have about 22 kegs all told, but since my wife & I are coming in on Wed for BNA8 (woot!) the LWSC beers will mostly be my session ales: Saison, porter, IPA, & herbed Belgians all below 5% ABV.

We're saving the big dogs for Club Night: barrel-aged RIS, Tart Cherry Farmhouse Braggot, Oaked Old Ale, Imperial Gruit, Smoked Porter, Raisin Dubbel, Chimay clone, etc.

First timer here as well, and absurdly excited. Our club, BARF out of SE Virginia, will be pouring at the Liberty Well on Thu from 4 to 6 and then during Club Night, too. We'll have about 22 kegs all told, but since my wife & I are coming in on Wed for BNA8 (woot!) the LWSC beers will mostly be my session ales: Saison, porter, IPA, & herbed Belgians all below 5% ABV.

We're saving the big dogs for Club Night: barrel-aged RIS, Tart Cherry Farmhouse Braggot, Oaked Old Ale, Imperial Gruit, Smoked Porter, Raisin Dubbel, Chimay clone, etc.

I'm signed up for the DFH tour as well as the BNA8, so make sure we find each other so we can say "Hi!". I'm looking forward to it.

I'm signed up for the DFH tour as well as the BNA8, so make sure we find each other so we can say "Hi!". I'm looking forward to it.

Will do, Yooper! I'll inbox you on Tuesday with some way to stand out. Enjoy DFH!

I'll be there with a lot of DC area homebrew friends! This is going to be epic!! Hope to share a pint with all of you who have helped me in my quest for brewing great beer!! Big questions on my mind are a) which seminars to attend, and b) how to drink all I want without getting so **** faced by 11AM that I can't function...sigh!! Everyone have a great time and be safe!

Cheers!

I'll be there with a lot of DC area homebrew friends! This is going to be epic!! Hope to share a pint with all of you who have helped me in my quest for brewing great beer!! Big questions on my mind are a) which seminars to attend, and b) how to drink all I want without getting so **** faced by 11AM that I can't function...sigh!! Everyone have a great time and be safe!

Cheers!

Stonebrewer, I barely remember what you look like but I'll try to keep an eye out for you. I'm almost completely though that sack of 2-row I picked up from you a while back.

There are pictures of me in my gallery if anybody wants to try to find me by looks. I'm older and crabbier, but otherwise about the same.

I think I'm pouring during the Opening Toast, and another time but I already forgot when. :drunk:

I'll be there, and our club (GLUB Club) will be pouring during club night.

As has been mentioned, Philly is very walkable. Anyone looking to do a bit of sightseeing, I highly recommend the Eastern St Penn tour. Especially if it's hot next week. This place always stays cool, and is pretty interesting (have done it with many different family members at this point). Better yet, there are 6-8 solid beer bars anywhere from across the street to 4 blocks away.

I can't imagine having time or stomach for more beer than we are already going to be drinking at the meetings. I guess it is fortunate that it's a walking (stumbling?) city!

Of course I WILL man up and manage to partake at every opportunity!

I didn't realize there was stuff going on Saturday (haven't received my ticket, even though I paid). I knew I wasn't going to the banquet, and was planning to head for Rochester Sat morning (depending on how Friday night goes).

This will be my first NHC and I'm psyched for it! Signed up for it while in a hospital room after my wife has our second kid. Originally I wasn't going to go as it happens during our 5th anniversary, but she was the one who told me I had to go since who knows when I'll have the chance to again. Only bringing one beer to pour for club night, but our group has 15 or so I think total. Not bad for the smaller club that we are.

I didn't realize there was stuff going on Saturday (haven't received my ticket, even though I paid). I knew I wasn't going to the banquet, and was planning to head for Rochester Sat morning (depending on how Friday night goes).

There are seminars until at least 4:00 PM or so. The schedule is on the AHA website. You don't get a ticket for the conference, you just show up and get your lanyard and pass, and then you get the ticket for the dinner.

I'm not going to the banquet, so I was thinking of taking a walk and getting a beer and something to eat. I've gone to the banquets before and while they are very nice, I didn't want to spend the $50 this time. I can do just fine out on my own for those few hours- then later back to the Social Club for more homebrews and friends!

ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!

is there any point in organizing a HBT meet-up/bottle share/bottle swap? is there ever any down-time when we'd want an additional source of beer? (of so, we could just trade instead of drinking on the spot...)

thoughts? maybe in the evening, immediately after the last seminar?

ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!

is there any point in organizing a HBT meet-up/bottle share/bottle swap? is there ever any down-time when we'd want an additional source of beer? (of so, we could just trade instead of drinking on the spot...)

Been wondering about this, too. Making plans to drink beer seems a little silly, but I would be interested in some HB trading.

ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!

We can do something like that. I don't have a lot of room in my suitcase, but today I grabbed two sixers of New Glarus and a big 750 ml bottle of New Glarus Raspberry Tart, just in case someone wants to trade something not available to them.

The seminars are over 5(ish). I promised my husband that I would eat during this conference, so I would love to go take a walk and grab something to eat and drink. We can always swap around in the hospitality suite if we want, also. Then the evening events start at 7ish.

is it possible to buy a pass just for a event like club night and thats it?

is it possible to buy a pass just for a event like club night and thats it?

No. There are several types of tickets- the "all" pass, the "social package", and the "all, except Thursday seminars". That's about it.

The social package includes all events except for the seminars.

wait, i thought they moved club night to a new larger facility and then started selling club night only tickets... am i making this up?

and Yooper: would LOVE to trade for the raspberry tart! anything in particular i might entice you with?

wait, i thought they moved club night to a new larger facility and then started selling club night only tickets... am i making this up?

and Yooper: would LOVE to trade for the raspberry tart! anything in particular i might entice you with?

You are correct. It's now in the PA Convention center.

I'm going to my first ever AHC, and can't wait. My wife's joining me, and she's looking forward to it as well, though probably not as excited as I am.
Our club, South Shore Brew Club, is bringing nearly 50 kegs for the social club and club night.

I had a hard time figuring out the speaker/seminar schedule, so I cut and paste the info into an easier to read table that I've attached here in case it makes it easier for any of you.

View attachment AHC_Schel.pdf

Oh, I'm sure there is! I love IPAs and pale ales, so if you have something local that I would enjoy (and some to bring home to Bob), I'm sure we can work something out!

The final round of judging is Thursday AM, also in the conference center, but I'm not judging in the BOS in the afternoon so I'll be available after lunch time on Thursday I believe.

Just filled a Pin with my Brett Trois Pale to pour for Club night, really excited to see how it turns out.

A lot of people in my club were talking about parking at the airport and shuttling in from there. they found lots for as low as $11/night.

I am lucky. the Megabus has a stop right by me. $2.50 round trip to Phili!! Its only a 90 minute ride so it shouldn't be bad.

Coff said:
This parking lot is $5 all day everyday (possibly only weekends). Ive parked there many many times, its a good deal.

http://goo.gl/maps/m1kl9

Phila Parking Authority website says $5 rate applies under these conditions:

5-hours, Mon to Thu night
5-hours, Fri/Sat night
In after 5pm, out by 9am next day
In after 5pm Fri, out by 9am Mon

Otherwise, the daily rate is $18.

I didnt realize that lot is run by the PPA, none of their signage was on the building last I parked there.

The PPA is rape.

Coff said:
I didnt realize that lot is run by the PPA, none of their signage was on the building last I parked there.

The PPA is rape.

Now that Traffic Court has been abolished, maybe PPA is next!

If you don't mind some inconvenience in getting to the hotel to save some money on the parking, you could park by the airport and take the train into the city. I usually use ExpressPark which has a rack rate of 6.75 or PreFlight is just a little more and you can probably find online coupons to save more. Then take their shuttle to the terminal and pick up the train to the city. They run every half hour and it takes about a half hour to get to Market East station. Not for the faint of heart, but for those who want to save...

Psyched for Philly! Taking my BJCP tasting exam on Weds, then it's time to relax. Our club M.A.S.H is pouring at club night. Have a blackberry berliner weiss, pink peppercorn saison, and an all galaxy pale ale coming with me. Not sure of what other club members are bringing.

I'm going to bring some Stout Trooper, Barrel Aged Stout Trooper, and Rum barrel aged barleywine from New England Brewing, if anyone is looking for some bottle trade/bottle share action. I'll have a few bottles of each.

Back