2 questions on water profiles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
I'm brewing a double batch tomorrow a wheat beer being fermented with American ale yeast then "dry fruited" with passion fruit and mango purée, and the second is a Berliner style sour using giga yeast fast souring lacto then finishing fermentation with 001.

Grain bills:
Wheat beer American ale wlp060
Hops:
.5oz northern brewer 60
.5oz northern brewer 40
.5 oz cascade 5

Grain:
4.5lbs white wheat
3.5lbs pale malt
1lb flaked wheat
.5lb Munich malt
.5lb rice hulls

Berliner style sour giga fast souring lacto/wlp001
Hops:
.25oz saaz 30 mins

Grain:
4.25lb pale malt
3.5 lb red wheat
.25 lb Munich light 10l
.5lb rice hulls

My question is what water profiles should I go for. I will be using RO water any help and insight or tips would be awesome

I found this water profile for a Berliner think it would
Be good?

Calcium-65ppm
Magnesium-7.5ppm
Sodium-15ppm
Sulfate-50ppm
Chloride-96ppm
BiCarbonate-23ppm

Not sure what profile to go for on the fruit wheat beer

Not sure about the style profiles, but I can tell you hitting exact water profiles by adding from scratch is pretty hard, and doesn't always taste right after the additions.
Is this your first go add building water from scratch.?
It's usually done by starting with your local water, and adding RO water to dilute as necessary, then adding to bring up specific low areas.

Nope I always use tasty mcd's water profile for most of my beers but wasn't sure if there might be a better one for the wheat beer if all else fails I know that's the water tasty uses for everything so might just play safe and go with tht

Went with tasty's water on the fruit wheat beer, hit ph of 5.3 so pretty happy with that and hit og dead on with more wort then expected so pretty excited to have more then needed being that I will secondary with mangos and passion fruit

Back