Another Milkshake IPA Water Profile Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Parfitt

Reaction score
Planning to brew a milkshake IPA 'base' this weekend. I've seen water profiles all over the place for this style. No fruit, no vanilla.

General guidance seems to indicate 2:1 Chloride to Sulfate ratio? Have also seen folks reverse this or go with a 1:1 similar to NEIPA.

Grain Bill:
10 lb Pilsner
2 lbs flaked oats
1 lb Honey Malt
1 lb White wheat
1.25 lbs lactose

Target Profile:
Ca: 20
Mg: 20
NA: 16
Cl: 200
SO4: 100

Brewfather struggled to 'auto' calculate the addiitons against the target profile so I manually tweaked things and came up with the following:

Using RO water

Salt additions:
Gypsum: 2.8 g
Calc Chlo: 4.2 g
Epsom: 6.8 g

Mash profile:
Ca: 98
Mg: 30
Na: 6
Cl: 100
SO4: 195

Any additional input here before I brew tomorrow?

Cheers,
Brian

Most hazy/juicy IPA pros/experts are claiming 2-3:1 Cl:SO4, leaning closer to 3:1 for lower OGs to bolster the mouthfeel. With a higher OG, I think it's safter to go closer to 2:1 since the alcohol will lend some body.

I did 50:150 sulfate:chloride for my gold medal winning milkshake IPA. I usually do 1:2 sulfate:chloride for NEIPA's, but I think anywhere in that ballpark you'll be good.

Why so much magnesium? In addition to tasting unpleasant at high concentrations, it can also have an … effect … on your system. Replace the epsom with gypsum; a little more calcium never hurts anything.

Download Bru’n water for ion/ph calculation. Then just play with the additions to you hit ballpark of what you’re targeting. It should be quite easy to keep ca:100 Cl: 200 & So4:100 building off RO water. Don’t forget that NaCl is a great addition to boost your Cl without any change in Ca. Also, 50-70 ppm of Na will aid in fullness and help the hops and fruit pop. Also as @AlexKay stated, avoid upping mg past 20-25 ppm. I would target around 10ish

Last edited:
Back