Need help with water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Home Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm moving into all grain and one thing that is really concerning me is water profiles and salt additions.
I am going to start with a grain bill for a sweet stout.
1 lb choc malt
7 lb Pale 2 row
1 lb carm/crystal 40L
8 oz wheat
8 oz roasted barley
4 oz maltodextrine
1 lb lactose
1 oz cluster
1 oz golding
8 oz choclate slurry
4 oz choc tinkture
Attached is my water here in Cedar rapids.
First , I think my Magnesium is really high. But have been told not to worry so much about it and that it won't be a noticeable taste by a reputable brewmaster.
When using Brewfather I choose dublin/dark ale as my target profile.
In order to get a balanced profile it says 4g calc Chloride, 4g gypsum, 1 g baking soda which gives me a 5.25 ph.

This how I input my cedar rapids profile of which I am not certain is correct
See attached.

Am I on the right track here?
Any help would be appreciated.
I hope this is posted in the proper area if not my apologies.

Attachments

• 20210203_151122.jpg
    20210203_151122.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20210203_213833272.jpg
    PXL_20210203_213833272.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 20
A couple of observations:

- Your Chloride is 25 ppm (not 3). It's the chloride ion we're interested in, not chlorine (which you'd want to remove with campden or some other method anyway).

- Magnesium at 60 ppm is pretty high, and likely to cause a bit of sour flavor. If I were going to use this water, I would be cutting it with RO water or distilled water, and then building back other ions (if needed) by salt additions.

I agree. A magnesium level of over about 28/30 ppm can bring a weird sour-ish flavor to the beer. I’d use 50% RO water for that reason, and increase the chloride to 50/60 ppm. I’d also shoot for a mash pH of 5.5 or so, which may require a little baking soda depending on how much the RO water decreases your alkalinity. Calcium chloride will also increase your calcium, which is a good thing.

You will definitely want to use a campden tablet to get rid of the chlorine.

Thanks .
I kind of thought I was looking for Chloride rather than chlorine. But me doubting myself, I did the opposite.
I will correct that. I'll also dilute.
I really appreciate the input.

Back