Help me with my Berliner ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorJC

Too many hobbies... not enough time.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so, a couple of weeks ago I drank ---> this beer <--- and I really liked it. Even more important was the fact that SWMBO loved it.

I've decided to try to recreate it as a homebrew. First I tried e-mailing the folks at Parrish Brewing to see if they would share the recipe. It's no surprise that I haven't heard back from them. So tonight I spent several hours watching YouTube videos on Berliners and Sours and then I punched this into the recipe creator at Brewers Friend. Since I've never brewed anything like this I want to get some feedback. Also, in all the videos they used lactic acid to lower the pH. I don't have any lactic acid, but I do have citric acid, ascorbic acid and phosphoric acid and I wonder if one of those would work just as well.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Greetings from Major's Backyard

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Berliner Weisse
Boil Time: 15 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.030
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.032
Final Gravity: 1.006
ABV (standard): 3.37%
IBU (tinseth): 6.07
SRM (morey): 2.34
Mash pH: 5.48

FERMENTABLES:
3.12 lb - Pilsen Malt 2-Row (29.1%)
3.12 lb - Wheat Malt, White (29.1%)
2 lb - Pineapple - (late fermenter addition) (18.6%)
1 lb - Orange juice - (late fermenter addition) (9.3%)
0.5 lb - Lime juice - (late fermenter addition) (4.7%)
1 lb - Pomegranate - (late fermenter addition) (9.3%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Crystal, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 6.07

YEAST:
Wyeast - Lactobacillus 5335
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: -
Optimum Temp: 60 - 95 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Additional Yeast: Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

PRIMING:
CO2 Level: 4.04 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Dortmund (historic)
Ca2: 250
Mg2: 20
Na: 10
Cl: 100
SO4: 300
HCO3: 340
Water Notes:

NOTES:
Kettle sour at 95 °F with lactobacillus for 24-72 hours, then 15 minute boil, then ferment with US-05 at 64°F till done.

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1297822/greetings-from-major-039-s-backyard
Generated by Brewer's Friend - Brewer's Friend | Homebrew Beer Recipes, Calculators & Forum
Date: 2022-07-24 07:19 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2022-07-24 07:18 UTC

A few thoughts.

First, no reason to use hard-as-rocks water! You don’t need that much sulfate, and you probably don’t need bicarbonate at all.

Any reason you picked Crystal? I’d probably just put in the equivalent amount of Magnum. Or go with something noble. Or if you’re feeling crazy, go with something that plays with the pineapple or orange, like BRU-1 or Lotus.

Finally, since you say you haven’t done this before, have you thought about skipping the kettle sour completely and using Philly Sour? I’ve been happy with sour beers I’ve made that way, and you can’t beat it for convenience. My guess is between the Philly and fruit juice, you’re going to end up plenty sour.

@AlexKay, thanks for your input.

As far as the water profile, I had just picked a German water profile since this is a German style beer. I'm probably going to just use my Ozarka Spring Water as is for my first brewing of this beer and see how it tastes.

Any reason you picked Crystal?

Mainly because of the variety of hops that I already have in my freezer, it is the lowest AA content. However, you made me start thinking about it and I've decided to order some Huell Melon for this brew.

have you thought about skipping the kettle sour completely and using Philly Sour?

Actually yes, I'm still thinking about that. I actually ordered both the Sour Pitch and the Philly Sour, I'm planning to try it both ways to see which one I like the best.

Back