12 Beers of Christmas 2018 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I am not in the USA and can only wish you good fortune with the awesome swap but have a suggestion that may make things easier. Have everyone ship their beers to one person who then mixes them up and ships them out to the individuals in one go, this dramatically cuts down on shipping costs and if anyone doesn't come through then stops any beer going to them. It does require a good amount of effort from one person but I have seen this used in bottle swaps before and it works really well (any extras beers destined for those that drop out could also go to the organiser and it also makes it easier to change the amount of beers required without making the postage per beer silly).

I had thought that something along these lines might make sense. My brother and I saved a bit by consolidating shipments this year. We have a little time to work out some logistics.

I had thought that something along these lines might make sense. My brother and I saved a bit by consolidating shipments this year. We have a little time to work out some logistics.

It works really well and it is quite spectacular to see eg 400 beers all lined up to be sorted into their respective boxes :)

@gromitdj and me live a couple of miles from each other. So we’ll be consolidating shipments to cut cost. @jerbrew, you are welcome to join us if you want.

I'll probably brew mine before the end of this year. It'll give the beer plenty of time to age, plus I'll can still rebrew if I don't like the first one.
I plan on doing the same. Between Christmas and NYE I'm going to brew the first version of my spiced cherry Dubbel.

My house culture is chewing away at 12 gallons of my pale sour. I just threw some cab sauv onto some oak cubes to soak for a while. I still need to source the crabapples, but honestly they won't go on until a month or 2 before I bottle.

@MapleGroveAleworks, I don't know. I've never done anything like that, so I wouldn't know how the final numbers would shake out. Plus I don't want to speak for @gromitdj and @jerbrew. Someone with experience doing that should probably take the lead.

@MapleGroveAleworks, I don't know. I've never done anything like that, so I wouldn't know how the final numbers would shake out. Plus I don't want to speak for @gromitdj and @jerbrew. Someone with experience doing that should probably take the lead.

Sorry, I just meant instead of for example me sending 3 separate packages to each of you, I send one package of 9 beers to one of you since you're all so close together. Sorry if I worded it improperly earlier. I didn't mean sending you all the beers in the entire thing, just 9 since there's 3 of you so close.

Ah, got it. That totally makes sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :mug:

Sorry, I just meant instead of for example me sending 3 separate packages to each of you, I send one package of 9 beers to one of you since you're all so close together. Sorry if I worded it improperly earlier. I didn't mean sending you all the beers in the entire thing, just 9 since there's 3 of you so close.

There is still plenty of time but I see it going something like this:

1) We will decide sometime towards the end of the year if it is feasible for us to meet up package our beer together and ship.
2) If we decide to do that we would extend an offer for anyone who is ready to ship to ship to whoever is closest to where we meet.
3) The three of us then distribute what was received, you all get three beers at once, and everyone is happy.

Another note, sending 3 in one box will probably save you about $20. For us however, it saves on shipping between ourselves and we split a pretty large cost. Oh, and I'm sure we'll drink some tasty beers.

Now, I've never been out to the Midwest/east coast but on a map a lot of places look pretty close, relatively speaking, so putting something together near where you live might be the best way to save on shipping costs, get to know some new people, and drink some new beers. As much as I can tell from being a life long Californian and knowing people from across the country there's a pretty good consensus that we have an insane concept of what we are willing to drive to, so maybe this is a poor option. Although, you might be surprised who would be willing to drive 2-4 hours, how long it would take me to get to L.A., for a meet up.

Just food for thought.

I don’t see “drink till we puke” on that list. Ha

There is still plenty of time but I see it going something like this:

1) We will decide sometime towards the end of the year if it is feasible for us to meet up package our beer together and ship.
2) If we decide to do that we would extend an offer for anyone who is ready to ship to ship to whoever is closest to where we meet.
3) The three of us then distribute what was received, you all get three beers at once, and everyone is happy.

Another note, sending 3 in one box will probably save you about $20. For us however, it saves on shipping between ourselves and we split a pretty large cost. Oh, and I'm sure we'll drink some tasty beers.

Now, I've never been out to the Midwest/east coast but on a map a lot of places look pretty close, relatively speaking, so putting something together near where you live might be the best way to save on shipping costs, get to know some new people, and drink some new beers. As much as I can tell from being a life long Californian and knowing people from across the country there's a pretty good consensus that we have an insane concept of what we are willing to drive to, so maybe this is a poor option. Although, you might be surprised who would be willing to drive 2-4 hours, how long it would take me to get to L.A., for a meet up.

Just food for thought.
Works for me. The other 2 live a couple miles apart so I'm sure that won't be a problem with them. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't. Nothing wrong at all with saving a few dollars if nobody is inconvenienced.

I've got a really great spice shop near my house that I'll be using the spices for my beer. I'll make sure to go low on them at flameout to ensure I don't overspice. If after tasting I feel like it needs a bit more I can add later on. Really excited!

I've got a really great spice shop near my house that I'll be using the spices for my beer. I'll make sure to go low on them at flameout to ensure I don't overspice. If after tasting I feel like it needs a bit more I can add later on. Really excited!
For the spiced cherry Dubbel, instead of using an almond extract, I just ordered some mahaleb from an online store. Been wanting to use it for a tart cherry melomel as well so it's a win/win. Have to travel a ways to get any good spices here. Thought it would lend some great flavor. If it doesn't work the way I intended I've got plenty of time to try again.

For the spiced cherry Dubbel, instead of using an almond extract, I just ordered some mahaleb from an online store. Been wanting to use it for a tart cherry melomel as well so it's a win/win. Have to travel a ways to get any good spices here. Thought it would lend some great flavor. If it doesn't work the way I intended I've got plenty of time to try again.

I had to Google 'mahaleb', but wow that sounds great! haha, and I bet yours will be delicious!

Holy schnikes that filled up quick! I'm interested in joining again this year, either by attrition or if someone starts a second group, splits east/west, whatever.

Argh, I've literally been waiting all year to sign up for this one... I was out of the country for work and it's already filled up??! Sheesh... sign me up for next year I guess, or if there ends up being a second list for 2018 then please add me to that!!

Argh, I've literally been waiting all year to sign up for this one... I was out of the country for work and it's already filled up??! Sheesh... sign me up for next year I guess, or if there ends up being a second list for 2018 then please add me to that!!
I think there's enough interest for a second list seeing as this one filled up a few days. I could tentatively sign up for the caramel quad on if there's enough interest

I'd take the spices bourbon stout, if we do a 2nd run of this. Hell, I'll even throw it in my barrel for a few months... my last one (sans christmas spices) come out delicious!

Back