12 Beers of Christmas 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would chill the bottles in a fridge, but don't freeze them. If the beer is at or near enough to freezing temp and the bottles are below, you may have some issues with the beer freezing as it comes off pressure and hits the cold bottles.

I was a little concerned with carbonation as well. I don’t bottle much anymore. But I figure I’ll be out of the secondary a little after thanksgiving, then keg and bottle, or just sugar and bottle?

I force carb in the keg, then bottle off the keg. In your case I'd probably do the same in order to ship finished beer, vs. shipping beer that will have to bottle condition for a week or two after receipt.

I picked up a counter-flow beer gun to fill my bottles. This will be the first timer using it. The beers is fully carbonated.

I'm planning to :
  • Take the keg off CO2.
  • Cool the keg to just above freezing
  • Freeze my bottles prior to bottling
  • Bottle using the beer gun instructions

Before I fill the bottles, should I carb the beer a little higher in anticipation of losing some CO2 during bottling? For example, I'm at 12 PSI for serving now. Do I crank the beer to 15 PSI for a few days, purge the keg right before bottling, then bottle?

Anyone have experience with these things?

First time using a counter-pressure filler... take pictures. See if you can catch the moment when you realize you really needed a 3rd hand :fro:

First time using a counter-pressure filler... take pictures. See if you can catch the moment when you realize you really needed a 3rd hand :fro:

Terrific! My first time, too. But I am worried that my carbonation level might be a little on the high side. I jacked the gas up a bit thinking I will lose some in bottling. And why did the gas accessory kit come with a liquid disconnect? I already had the liquid side worked out...

I am inspired to connect the gas with the liquid disconnect via a sanitized and CO2 purged keg sitting beside the beer keg. They will be at the same pressure since they will be hooked into the same gas manifold. I won't have to have the beer and gas lines coming from two different directions, as I had feared. (My cylinder is outside my kegorator)

Can someone who has experience with the beer gun check my logic on this?

Terrific! My first time, too. But I am worried that my carbonation level might be a little on the high side. I jacked the gas up a bit thinking I will lose some in bottling. And why did the gas accessory kit come with a liquid disconnect? I already had the liquid side worked out...

I am inspired to connect the gas with the liquid disconnect via a sanitized and CO2 purged keg sitting beside the beer keg. They will be at the same pressure since they will be hooked into the same gas manifold. I won't have to have the beer and gas lines coming from two different directions, as I had feared. (My cylinder is outside my kegorator)

Can someone who has experience with the beer gun check my logic on this?

This is how I hooked mine up.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=454129

Bottled the gingerbread ale with the beer gun. Now I just have to make a lame label. It tastes good. The gingerbread taste masks the alcohol.

Looking good, everyone. Wish I had gone the same route with kegging and using a beer gun at this point...

Cracked open one of the quads and just the barest ffft sound which is more attributable to the headspace being at room temp when bottling and at serving temp when opening. Had to be vacuum only since there isn't a trace of carbonation on the tongue. Guess I'll be opening 49 bottles and dosing with rehydrated yeast. Sigh. Hopefully it takes this time...:(

Back in business! Opened the monster can bottle thing and added some dry wine yeast and recapped, squeezing some of the air out. It's already expanded again 12 hours later!

Must have killed the EC-1118 somehow... Going to rehydrate some premier cuvee that I've got laying around since that seems to be working better than the champagne yeast.

Was sweating there...:)

Used my artistic ability in designing my label. Hope you guys like it. Wife is going out with the girls tomorrow night so I plan on packaging then.

Bubbling has ceased and I'll be harvesting the yeast and dropping in some more hops, ginger, and honey this weekend.

A shot from the brew day...
P3SQzXs.jpg

Everything is looking great with the other brews!

I went to go to secondary yesterday, and I saw some action in the sightglass still. So I took another reading and sure enough it's still dropping, so I have to keep waiting. I'm surprised as that's a solid week of good fermentation.

Dropped in the honey, hops, and ginger yesterday.

The ginger is already coming through nicely, honey as well, still waiting on more hop though.

Still feeling good I'll deliver for you all. Thanks again.

Got my first shipment, from @TBC ! Everything arrived safe and sound, looking forward to trying it!

Glad it made it. Figured you should get the first box since you set this up. Boxes also went to Cali, FL and Ga with yours. The “local” boxes are getting picked up tomorrow morning.

Merry Christmas to me! Thanks @TBC :ban:

38588652141_7eabe90389_c.jpg

Planning on packing everything up over the Thanksgiving weekend and shipping out on December 4th when I'll have a half a day off. Want to give them just a little more time in the warm closet to condition.

All packed up and nowhere to go...

Changed plans an will ship a few out tomorrow. Kind of worried they're going to say something about the gurgling from within... Fresh yeast samples, anyone?

26847808999_658c9bf104_c.jpg

Shipped everything out this afternoon. Expensive!! Oh well, I think it's worth it to have a chance to sample all the awesome beers everyone has made. :rock:

@Auger should have a list of tracking numbers if the attachment worked properly. Didn't want to post that pic in the public forum...

Just a heads up, but I recommend waiting several weeks before opening one. Tried one last night and while it IS carbonating, it's just not there yet. Needs some additional time to condition. I'll open one a week of the remaining and keep everyone posted when they're ready.

@TBC, your Mistress arrived in fine condition... on Friday, I think. Pete and I were wrapping and packing up our boxes last night. Then his kid had to go and get engaged! I am at it again this morning. Should all be ready to go out tomorrow, but I will probably do a few Monday and a few Tuesday. Feeling @Easycreeper 's concern of 'yeast sample' suspicion.

Got my package from TBC on Saturday. There were three beers in there. I could have swore I only needed two each. DOH, it was three all along. That's what I get for going off of memory and not reading the first post.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I thought I had a enough aside so drank a few and gave a few. I have 26 beers. I apologize but I need 4 volunteers to take 2 of the Juniper Rye Bock and take another replacement beer/cider/HB in return. I apologize, I thought I had pulled it off without a hitch. Stupid Murphy and his law.

Got my package from TBC on Saturday. There were three beers in there. I could have swore I only needed two each. DOH, it was three all along. That's what I get for going off of memory and not reading the first post.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I thought I had a enough aside so drank a few and gave a few. I have 26 beers. I apologize but I need 4 volunteers to take 2 of the Juniper Rye Bock and take another replacement beer/cider/HB in return. I apologize, I thought I had pulled it off without a hitch. Stupid Murphy and his law.
I'll volunteer... Whatcha got available?

I'll take 2. You don't need to send a 3rd at all if you're short. No worries.

I'll take 2. You don't need to send a 3rd at all if you're short. No worries.
Gee, way to make me look bad...:p

I can do this too. Goodness knows I've got plenty of beer at my house. Need more friends to help drink it all actually...

Wow that was fast. Ok, I'll mark that down and send ya'll 2. Just didn't want to surprise anyone. I'll get something else in that box as well. Bummer my NEIPA kicked on thanksgiving didn't get to bottle any. I have some cider that should do nicely.

Back