12 Beers of Christmas 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at shipping the week after Thanksgiving through the first week of Dec to ensure everyone gets their beers by Christmas.

By my count, we have 11, I think HawleyFarms is the only dropped brewer so far.

I would like final confirmation in the next two weeks, if you haven't already, that each of you has beer packaged and ready to ship. It really sucks to ship beer to someone then find out you're not getting anything in return...it happened last year and I'd like to avoid it this year. I understand that crap happens and things don't always go as planned, but if there's a problem, speak up before folks start making shipments.

The gingerbread ale has been kegged and on gas in the keezer. I will break out the blichman beer gun by this weekend and shoot the bottles
up.

Alright fellas... It's with great disappointment and sadness to say I will have to withdraw from the 12 beers of Christmas. I am sorry for not pulling out sooner but I really thought I could get it done. The fact is, ever since having my 2nd kid, we have hit hard times financially and I just cannot swing the cost of shipping. I had some money set aside so I could participate but I cannot justify spending it on shipping beer when we have so many other financial obligations to deal with.

Again, I'm very sorry. This community has been a home away from home, if you will, for me for several years and the last thing I want to do is let you all down. Maybe once we have things figured out I can give it another go in the future.

FYI I was responsible for the honey ginger IPA. We still have a few weeks until shipping day and since it's an IPA maybe someone who kegs can get it turned around in time to meet the shipping date.

Have fun with this and happy holidays.

Alright fellas... It's with great disappointment and sadness to say I will have to withdraw from the 12 beers of Christmas. I am sorry for not pulling out sooner but I really thought I could get it done. The fact is, ever since having my 2nd kid, we have hit hard times financially and I just cannot swing the cost of shipping. I had some money set aside so I could participate but I cannot justify spending it on shipping beer when we have so many other financial obligations to deal with.

Again, I'm very sorry. This community has been a home away from home, if you will, for me for several years and the last thing I want to do is let you all down. Maybe once we have things figured out I can give it another go in the future.

FYI I was responsible for the honey ginger IPA. We still have a few weeks until shipping day and since it's an IPA maybe someone who kegs can get it turned around in time to meet the shipping date.

No worries! Much better to step up now and let us know, instead of going silent.

Ouch, sounds rough...but

No worries! Much better to step up now and let us know, instead of going silent.

This. Best of luck with everything.

Dam, I dont know how I missed this thread but I would have loved to have played a part in this! Let me know if someone bails, I may be taking a stab at the Juniper Rye Bock, sounds similar to the Rye Gin (Juniper) Bier I made last week!

Just saw this thread, keep me in mind as an alternate too please.

Alright guys, inspired by this thread I'm gonna try my hand at the Honey Ginger IPA tomorrow. After taking a quick look back at the blurb about it in Radical Brewing a couple of question come to mind. It says to add 2 lbs. of honey once in secondary. Since this isn't done during the boil and stirring to dissolve is obviously out of the question how do I get that much honey to dissolve and not just sit on the bottom of my carboy? Given a week or two will it dissolve on its own? Question 2, it says to coarse chop the candied ginger and add to secondary. Should I sanitize via the vodka soaking method or do I need to worry about it at all. Seems like I do but it also seems that given the usual 10ish days of contact time with such a high proof liquid the ginger might break down into nothing more than sludge. Ideas? Opinions?

Did anyone ever take the dunkle?

Or @HawleyFarms

So....we are down two beers right now. It's probably not reasonable to get someone else to brew the lambicky ale at this point, but if someone wants to jump in to brew the honey ginger IPA (it would probably have to be done this week), that would at least get us back up to 11 out of the 12. Any alternates want to step up?

Speaking of shipping costs, what's the best way (carrier) to ship with? If any of you guys were involved in this in the past, I'm sure you have it figured out already.

I used UPS last year with no issue and will likely do that again. I think it was $120 total, and we had 10 out of the 12 beers taken? It was a pretty even mix between east and west coast, as I remember.

Speaking of shipping costs, what's the best way (carrier) to ship with? If any of you guys were involved in this in the past, I'm sure you have it figured out already.

UPS is convenient for me but Fed Ex is usually a little cheaper

I just cracked open one of the Fruitcake Old Ales, it has been a few months. Definitely has changed since I last tried it, for the better I believe. I like it, so hopefully you all will too. :mug:

1106171715b.jpg

@bobeer

Dont sweat it man, no hard feelings here. Have a good holiday season and focus on priorities, good luck.:tank:

Haha I am one to talk, that's going to be my goal this next year. To focus on focusing on priorities, its going to be a process.

Merry Christmas and all that Jazz, JDXX

@bobeer

Dont sweat it man, no hard feelings here. Have a good holiday season and focus on priorities, good luck.:tank:

Haha I am one to talk, that's going to be my goal this next year. To focus on focusing on priorities, its going to be a process.

Merry Christmas and all that Jazz, JDXX

Thank you. I appreciate the understanding! Have a great Christmas season! :tank:

I'd be in to take the IPA...

I'm fine with doing this first-come first-serve since we're really on a limited timeline to get this one done right now...we can leave it open for discussion through today but if no one has any objections, that would be great. One thing to confirm since there's no location in your profile, you are in the US, correct? Thoughts anyone?

I'm fine with doing this first-come first-serve since we're really on a limited timeline to get this one done right now...we can leave it open for discussion through today but if no one has any objections, that would be great. One thing to confirm since there's no location in your profile, you are in the US, correct? Thoughts anyone?

Yes, I'm in MI. I have an IPA recipe I like, and I have some Conan yeast I think will match nicely. Please PM me any further guidelines to this particular beer, or anything else you need from me, just let me know.

:mug:

8. HONEY GINGER IPA - Ginger was a popular ingredient in British beers prior to 1850, and here we're
pairing it with a dab of honey. Start with an IPA, and brew and ferment as normal. Once transferred
to the secondary, add 2 pounds of honey, plus 2 ounces of candied ginger, coarsely chopped. This is a
higher-quality ginger than the stuff in the produce section, less pungent and less earthy. I would use
British East Kent Goldings hops exclusively. Gravity: 1.065 (15.5*P). Color: pale amber.

btw, if you use that candied ginger, I'd just throw it in the primary with the yeast. I've used it a few times in saisons and it takes a while for the yeast to chew through it. Certainly does add a ginger flavor, don't overdo it.

Sure, I'll get it done this weekend, I have everything I need for the base brew and I'll have time to get the ginger and honey.

That guideline you posted, is that for a 5g batch? That is my only limitation, 5g at a time, but I should be good to get all of the bottles out of that batch. 12oz bottles as well?

Brew sheet made and all ingredients/parts ordered. We are good to go.

Now if only I hadn't just got rid of all of my boxes and shipping supplies...

Sure, I'll get it done this weekend, I have everything I need for the base brew and I'll have time to get the ginger and honey.

That guideline you posted, is that for a 5g batch? That is my only limitation, 5g at a time, but I should be good to get all of the bottles out of that batch. 12oz bottles as well?

yes and yes. Good luck, thanks for doing this!

Awesome, thanks! We're back to 11. PM me your shipping address when you get a chance.

The brew went well yesterday and it's already bubbling away! Here is what I ended up doing for it.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.47 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.48 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.47 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.6 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.23 gal Heady Water Water 1 -
86.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent
0.12 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
11 lbs Pearl Malt (2.1 SRM) Grain 4 78.6 %
2 lbs Caramalt Malt - 55L (Bairds) (55.0 SRM) Grain 5 14.3
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6 7.1 %
2.0 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 7 26.3
1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 8 15.2
8.00 oz Ginger, Crystallized (Boil 15.0 mins) Herb 9 -
8.00 oz Wildflower Honey (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 10 -
1.0 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 11 2.6
1.0 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 12 0.0
1.0 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Stee Hop 13 5.1
3.0 pkg DIPA Ale (Omega #OYL-052) Yeast 14 -
1.50 lb Ginger, Crystallized (Secondary 7.0 days Herb 15 -
1.50 oz Wildflower Honey (Secondary 7.0 days

The brew went well yesterday and it's already bubbling away! Here is what I ended up doing for it.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.47 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.48 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.47 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.6 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.23 gal Heady Water Water 1 -
86.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent
0.12 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
11 lbs Pearl Malt (2.1 SRM) Grain 4 78.6 %
2 lbs Caramalt Malt - 55L (Bairds) (55.0 SRM) Grain 5 14.3
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6 7.1 %
2.0 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 7 26.3
1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 8 15.2
8.00 oz Ginger, Crystallized (Boil 15.0 mins) Herb 9 -
8.00 oz Wildflower Honey (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 10 -
1.0 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 11 2.6
1.0 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 12 0.0
1.0 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Stee Hop 13 5.1
3.0 pkg DIPA Ale (Omega #OYL-052) Yeast 14 -
1.50 lb Ginger, Crystallized (Secondary 7.0 days Herb 15 -
1.50 oz Wildflower Honey (Secondary 7.0 days

lqKlotB.png

I ordered boxes today, now I need find some packing materials and get my labels printed. I hope to be good to go to ship before Thanksgiving.

Got the Juniper Rye Bock bottled today. A bit less carbonated than I would like personally. However, I think its pretty much to style and lends itself to picking out the Juniper which is subtle, even after using about 12 Oz. juniper berries, and enjoying the rich overtones of the beer.

I just cracked open one of the Fruitcake Old Ales, it has been a few months. Definitely has changed since I last tried it, for the better I believe. I like it, so hopefully you all will too. :mug:

I have had the pleasure of drinking this beer recently and ya'll are in for a treat, me too of course.

I ordered boxes today, now I need find some packing materials and get my labels printed. I hope to be good to go to ship before Thanksgiving.

Same here, I'd like to get my shipping labels set, when will the shipping info be made available to us?

Wow, almost all of you are on the other side of the country. Gunna get some miles on this batch.

Yeah I noticed that also. Nice cheap shipping along the east coast for me! I plan on bottling Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

Looking forward to reading reviews on everyone's brews!

Some background and question for each of you:

The quad is conditioning very slowly in spite of the addition of champagne yeast at bottling. I plan on shipping these out and possibly one of the first batch (it's a little sweet and wasn't fined and so is hazy) as well given enough space in the boxes I purchased. Space is iffy, however.

Would you rather me not participate, ship the bottles and let you know when conditioning is complete, or ship the bottles and include a packet of EC-1118 if conditioning poops out completely?

Thanks, everyone.

When you say conditioning slowly, is it actually coming along, or is it really just completely flat? As long as it's progressing, I'd say ship them...there's still a few weeks to go, get them someplace relatively warm to push it along and check again after Thanksgiving to see how things look. Just my thoughts.

The monster can bottle thing I'm using to monitor is only slightly tighter than when the beer was bottled.

I'll throw one in the fridge tonight and open tomorrow evening to see if it's progressing at all. If not, I'll rehydrate some additional yeast and use a dropper to dose each bottle.

Right now, all the bottles are sitting in a closet next to the water heater since that's likely the warmest place in the house.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up before they ship anything my direction in case the situation is unacceptable.

I picked up a counter-flow beer gun to fill my bottles. This will be the first timer using it. The beers is fully carbonated.

I'm planning to :
  • Take the keg off CO2.
  • Cool the keg to just above freezing
  • Freeze my bottles prior to bottling
  • Bottle using the beer gun instructions

Before I fill the bottles, should I carb the beer a little higher in anticipation of losing some CO2 during bottling? For example, I'm at 12 PSI for serving now. Do I crank the beer to 15 PSI for a few days, purge the keg right before bottling, then bottle?

Anyone have experience with these things?

I picked up a counter-flow beer gun to fill my bottles. This will be the first timer using it. The beers is fully carbonated.

I'm planning to :
  • Take the keg off CO2.
  • Cool the keg to just above freezing
  • Freeze my bottles prior to bottling
  • Bottle using the beer gun instructions

Before I fill the bottles, should I carb the beer a little higher in anticipation of losing some CO2 during bottling? For example, I'm at 12 PSI for serving now. Do I crank the beer to 15 PSI for a few days, purge the keg right before bottling, then bottle?

Anyone have experience with these thing?

I think going to 15psi is a good idea. I've had a few of the ones I bottled and while they are carbonated fine, it could be a little better. I carbed at 12psi @ 35F.

Latest posts

Back