Zwanze Day 2015: The Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No tickets, crowded as ****, lines at each bar so long they extended all the way to the next bar. It worked okay for me because I was the third person in line, but it's clearly worse than the ticketed events at Mikkellerbar were.
Have you been to RR for zwanze? I live really close to the Trappist but sounds like it might be worth it to drive out to Santa Rosa. Not that the lines would be any better there I'd imagine.

Have you been to RR for zwanze? I live really close to the Trappist but sounds like it might be worth it to drive out to Santa Rosa. Not that the lines would be any better there I'd imagine.
I have, but only in 2011. We got there early-ish and got in easily and it was a pretty good time, but I have no idea what time you'd need to show up this year to get yourself a seat. Then again, supposedly the tickets for the Friendship thingiedo didn't sell all that quickly...

Given what it's like on a normal day, I can't see how the lines for anything at Russian River could possibly be better than any other feasible option elsewhere.

I'm told the rural Iowa location was badass last year. Multiple pours of various Loons and bottles of Loons available throughout the day. Everyone should go there too.

Schera's did a great job. And Elkader, IA is a 45 minute drive away from Toppling Goliath, which doesn't hurt...

Given what it's like on a normal day, I can't see how the lines for anything at Russian River could possibly be better than any other feasible option elsewhere.
Considering that there are 20-30 people in line before they open pretty much every day now, RR will probably be quite a **** show.

London hosts are The Kernel and The Kings Arms.

This information is probably of relevance to about 2 people on here.

Down from three last year... I think the last time I saw you Padraig was at that Jester King and raw cheese night at the Kings Arms - good pub, unbelievably loud when it's packed though.

Should mean there's great cheese to pair with the Zwanze though.

Down from three last year... I think the last time I saw you Padraig was at that Jester King and raw cheese night at the Kings Arms - good pub, unbelievably loud when it's packed though.

Should mean there's great cheese to pair with the Zwanze though.

Nah it's the same number of locations this time. Last year they had it at that macro Belgian bar on Broadway Market that absolutely nobody went to. I guess it's owned by the same people as the King's Arms since it was at the Earl of Essex in 2013.

I confidently predict that 99% of The Scene will be at Kernel for this though. Same as last year.

Just my luck. Will be in Perth in 3 weeks.
Perth does have nailed down the most remote city in the world for Zwanze day.
Almost cheaper to fly to Hawaii than to Perth. Cheaper hotel packages as well.

610 return is the cheapest I can find from Melbourne. Wanna share a bunk?

Stupid phoenix

610 return is the cheapest I can find from Melbourne. Wanna share a bunk?

Stupid phoenix
No way I can go to Perth for that. Think MrKennedy will be going and I think he has had a few offers to stay at peeps houses.
DTC will do a good job in hosting it. The two best beer people I know are in Perth. One does DTC, the other does Mane Liquor

No way I can go to Perth for that. Think MrKennedy will be going and I think he has had a few offers to stay at peeps houses.
DTC will do a good job in hosting it. The two best beer people I know are in Perth. One does DTC, the other does Mane Liquor

I was surprised it wasn't in Perth last year tbh. I won't be going... I'll just stay home and drink lambic with my cat.

Anybody been to the Holy Grale Zwanze day in the past? It always looks pretty well run, just wondering if it is worth going.

I went last year and it was a blast.

It really wasn't too crowded, especially considering the size of the place. They opened at 8am and tapped different Cantillons every hour until 3pm, when everyone gathered in the Gralegarten for the Zwanze toast. Fou'Foune ran out in about 10 minutes, but I was perfectly fine drinking Gueuze, Kriek, Rose, Iris and Mamouche all day. The guest beers on tap weren't amazing but they had some really nice bottles available to buy including a selection of vintage Cantillon. If you do want the rare bottles, you better get there early though. My group got in line at 6:30, and when we finally got in, the only bottles left to buy were Westy 12 and ADWTD. I'm in Tampa now, so I'll miss Zwanze at the Grale this year, but if you're close to Louisville, it's definitely worth taking the trip.

Anybody been to the Holy Grale Zwanze day in the past? It always looks pretty well run, just wondering if it is worth going.
I have not, but it's my understanding that it's a lot better to wait and go to St Sours day in the fall unless you really need to tick this year's Zwanze.

EDIT: After seeing cmgray03 's post above, I guess it depends on your idea of crowded. I'm sure I'm giving the old guy perspective.

I might be in DC during Zwanze Day this year. Anyone have any feedback or input on how Churchkey runs the event? Any tips or tricks?

I might be in DC during Zwanze Day this year. Anyone have any feedback or input on how Churchkey runs the event? Any tips or tricks?

Place is not too large unless they also use the restaurant downstairs. Given the way all other rare beer events were before I left DC I'd guess you need to get there early.

Place is not too large unless they also use the restaurant downstairs. Given the way all other rare beer events were before I left DC I'd guess you need to get there early.
Yeah, I thought they hosted Zwanze day last year so I was hoping for some feedback from someone who went last year.

I went to RR for Zwanze last year and it was relatively mellow, by RR standards. There was a line down to the fountain or so, and everyone seemed able to get in and have their fill of pours. I think it was $5 for 6oz pours of the non-Zwanze loons which was nice. When my group left there was still RdG and Gueuze pouring.

If anyone has experience with the event at Moeder Lambic (either one) in Brussels or De Bierkoning in Amsterdam, in the past have they ticketed events or open to the public? Anything else I should know?

I have not, but it's my understanding that it's a lot better to wait and go to St Sours day in the fall unless you really need to tick this year's Zwanze.

EDIT: After seeing cmgray03 's post above, I guess it depends on your idea of crowded. I'm sure I'm giving the old guy perspective.

If I had to choose just one to go to, it would definitely be St. Sours day. It's not as crowded as Zwanze and the beers were actually better overall. The tap list still included Cantillon Gueuze, Kriek, Rose and Iris, but also had Gueuze Tilquin, Atrial, and many others. The bottle list was also pretty badass with '98 and '01 Oude Gueuze, Fou Foune, Hommage, and Lou Pepe's.

Nah it's the same number of locations this time. Last year they had it at that macro Belgian bar on Broadway Market that absolutely nobody went to. I guess it's owned by the same people as the King's Arms since it was at the Earl of Essex in 2013.

I confidently predict that 99% of The Scene will be at Kernel for this though. Same as last year.
I meant down from the three people it would have been relevant to last year as I've gone...!

Zwanze at Kernel was superb last year - not just for the Zwanze and the Cantillon draught but for the Kernel sour beers. That cask of Damson was the tits. Would be there for sure if I wasn't so far away (Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon for me)

Yeah, I thought they hosted Zwanze day last year so I was hoping for some feedback from someone who went last year.
I've been to churchkey the last few years. An hour before opening was sufficient last year to get decent seating. Much later and I imagine you'll be standing for a while. They pre-sold tickets for the zwanze when you placed your first order. Only had draft loons, no bottles. A few things kicked quickly, but I was able to get a second pour of zwanze so who knows.

If anyone has experience with the event at Moeder Lambic (either one) in Brussels or De Bierkoning in Amsterdam, in the past have they ticketed events or open to the public? Anything else I should know?
Moeder lambic does presale a week before zwanze day ;)

I went to RR for Zwanze last year and it was relatively mellow, by RR standards. There was a line down to the fountain or so, and everyone seemed able to get in and have their fill of pours. I think it was $5 for 6oz pours of the non-Zwanze loons which was nice. When my group left there was still RdG and Gueuze pouring.
Nice, that doesn't sound so bad at all. Also, those prices seem pretty reasonable compared to what trappist will probably charge.

I meant down from the three people it would have been relevant to last year as I've gone...!

Zwanze at Kernel was superb last year - not just for the Zwanze and the Cantillon draught but for the Kernel sour beers. That cask of Damson was the tits. Would be there for sure if I wasn't so far away (Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon for me)

And back up to 3 again since I joined.

If anyone's going to Akkurat this year, let's meet up!

Went to Nøgne Ø in Norway for Zwanze last year, and they actually had a great setup with Fou, Kriek, Lou Pepe Kriek, Mamouche on tap. Not expecting anyone to make the trip, but if you're in the area ...

was joking on sat with the staff that they will just use the leftover 2014 glasses you can still buy there.

Do they not effectively give away the Cantillon pours on Zwanze day as I've heard?
Curious, because if so that would be horrible for them to have a bunch of leftover glasses that they paid for.

Back