Zwanze Day 2015: The Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It isn't? RB has seating for like 40 people, Mikkeller's bar probably beats the whole of RB. Also RB's bathroom is smaller.

I really, truly, cannot understand why you'd think Zwanze would be better at RB than Mikkeller. Zwanze last year at Mikkeller was actually really smooth.
It was smooth. It was wildly over-priced. They never should have tried to do that 360 bar thing. It just doesn't work. Between that and the bottleneck walkway, they made the worst use of that space I can imagine.

Yes, RB seating is designed to make it seem less cavernous. I think they could do much better if they try to maximize.

Not official from Cantillon but Shelton just announced Side Project Cellar as a location.

No Cory King bringing unlabeled bottles of yet-to-be-released beers to WLV this year :(

First year it's in STL, and damned if I don't have a charity event that I'm helping organize the same friggin day. It'll be interesting to see how SP handles this. The Cellar is not a big space; less than 100 max capacity if I had to guess.

Unfortunately I won't be making the trip to Louisville this year. Cantillon, please add NC to your list of locations for next year, k thx.

I've been to avenue pub every single Zwanze Day. This year, Polly had something special planned for us five-year-club members.

But a really good friend chose that day as his wedding day. So I'll have to miss my first Zwanze...

let's just operate under the guise that it will be a total **** show and no one should come here. worse than monks

We sent an email, but haven't heard back. I had thought we'd be a natural location as well, and avoid any organizational and pricing issues. Now who's going to start pulling some strings for me? ;)
I have a few friends who claim to be butt bandits with the sheltons, but they'd rather have their own bars/locale for Z-day than help out someone he doesn't know too well, despite them both loving your beers. I'll ask them about it.

I actually considered bringing a de Garde bottle for the people at Cantillon last week, but decided against being "that guy."
I'm heading there on my honeymoon, is that kinda frowned upon? Not looking for them to open 10 year old LPG in exchange or anything, just thought it would be a nice gesture.

I'm heading there on my honeymoon, is that kinda frowned upon? Not looking for them to open 10 year old LPG in exchange or anything, just thought it would be a nice gesture.

Seen lots of pictures of Jean and people posing with other bottles, **** even Rare Barrel.

It's probably fine, but I'm sure people bring them stuff all the time and I didn't want to bother anyone. So we just drank the Special Rouge in Spain with Jamon Pringles instead.

First time I went to Cantillon and Belgium in general, my only prior exposure to lambic was Lindemanns. Oh how times have changed.

Still have a soft spot for hanging out at Mort Subite, plus the oude Geuze is pretty good.

First time I went to Cantillon and Belgium in general, my only prior exposure to lambic was Lindemanns. Oh how times have changed.

Still have a soft spot for hanging out at Mort Subite, plus the oude Geuze is pretty good.
Likewise. I only went there because some dude at a bottle shop in Paris insisted I go. Thank god I did.

Likewise. I only went there because some dude at a bottle shop in Paris insisted I go. Thank god I did.

It was the only brewery listed in Rick Steves guidebook, so we went.

That trip I was obsessed with Westy 12 and complaining about the lack of hoppy beer. This trip? Didn't even think about buying one.

It was the only brewery listed in Rick Steves guidebook, so we went.

That trip I was obsessed with Westy 12 and complaining about the lack of hoppy beer. This trip? Didn't even think about buying one.
Hahaha, my main thing about going to Bruges was trading some Russian River with a guy for Westy. This was summer 2011 and I had been "into" beer since early 2010.

After hearing stories of brewery employees giving away gift bottles from their fans at the end of every day, I realized that idea probably wasn't original. So I stopped doing that, but I still bring glassware back to some amigos at Jester King.

Couldn't hurt. Schmoozing in Belgium is how The Birch got to host ZD.

Yeah but the schmoozing when you own a bar/are in the industry vs. when you're just a random american dude on vacation, I think, is a bit different. If it were the same I'd be hosting Zwanze Day in my backyard this year with my two cats and redneck neighbors. :(

Jean was kind enough to email back.
Did not get the answer I'd hoped for though.
Let the lobbying for next year begin.

A blessing in disguise for me... next year I will have more money and hopefully living in OR.

Tough luck but you can't begin lobbying early enough, I suppose ;)

Yeah but the schmoozing when you own a bar/are in the industry vs. when you're just a random american dude on vacation, I think, is a bit different. If it were the same I'd be hosting Zwanze Day in my backyard this year with my two cats and redneck neighbors. :(
Yep, I assumed he had a connection to a brewery/bar of some sort.

Back