Zwanze Day 2015: The Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy **** does Texas have some ratshit beer laws.
Before 2012, any beer with 4%ABW or above had to be referred to as "ale" or "malt liquor". If the word "beer" was anywhere on a keg tag or bottle, it would be illegal to sell in Texas. The opposite was true under 4%ABW, where it had to be referred to as "beer". If "ale" or "malt liquor" appeared, it could not be sold.

Breweries were also forbidden to tell consumers where to buy their product.

Jester King challenged the TABC with 2 other plaintiffs and won.

Before June of 2013, beer could not be sold... at ALL... in breweries that distributed their product (brewpubs could sell beer but not distribute). Brewpubs can now distro and sell bottles to go (JK is technically a brewpub) and manufacturers can sell on-site only.

It's gotten so much better in the last 5 years, but there's still a ways to go. Tiered (or lowered) brewery licenses, festival exceptions and bottle sales at beer manufacturers are the next targets.

Our beer festivals are truly shitty because any brewery not licensed cannot serve at festivals. The price of licensing? $4000-$7000 every 2 years.

And one step back: Crowlers were deemed illegal last month because "canning" is considered "remanufacturing beer." You can't make this **** up.

Really curious to know what the tasting involves for $160. Any ideas? Did you grab tickets for that?

Just saw a preview pic, looks like it includes (possibly more to come):
3 Fonteinen Golden Blend
3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek
Belle Vue Selection Lambic
Boon Cuvee Lambikstoemper
Cantillon Vigneronne
Cantillon Cuvee St Gilloise
Cantillon Kriek
De Leite Cuvee Soeur'ise
Lindemans Spontanbasil
Oud Beersel Green Walnut
Tilquin Mure
Tilquin Gueuze

Just saw a preview pic, looks like it includes (possibly more to come):
3 Fonteinen Golden Blend
3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek
Belle Vue Selection Lambic
Boon Cuvee Lambikstoemper
Cantillon Vigneronne
Cantillon Cuvee St Gilloise
Cantillon Kriek
De Leite Cuvee Soeur'ise
Lindemans Spontanbasil
Oud Beersel Green Walnut
Tilquin Mure
Tilquin Gueuze

Impressive list. I wonder if that means bottles of Vig are going to be floating round... actually I'm wondering that about a bunch of those.

Impressive list. I wonder if that means bottles of Vig are going to be floating round... actually I'm wondering that about a bunch of those.

I have heard Cantillon kegs only.

It looks like those on that list are not through Australian distributors. You can also add Hanssens Oude Schaarbeekse Kriek to the list as well.

I have heard Cantillon kegs only.

It looks like those on that list are not through Australian distributors. You can also add Hanssens Oude Schaarbeekse Kriek to the list as well.

Yeah I'm wondering if they've got them from mules/online for some? Green Walnut, De Leite and Lambikstoemper are all pretty surprising to see. Either way, jealous I won't be there.

Our beer festivals are truly shitty because any brewery not licensed cannot serve at festivals. The price of licensing? $4000-$7000 every 2 years.
Crowlers were deemed illegal last month because "canning" is considered "remanufacturing beer." You can't make this **** up.

As a european reading this it sounds like the rules are made up by 5 year old kids in the playground. I thought Utah was the place where beer goes to die, but apparently they shoot it down if it jumps the border into Texas too.

As a european reading this it sounds like the rules are made up by 5 year old kids in the playground. I thought Utah was the place where beer goes to die, but apparently they shoot it down if it jumps the border into Texas too.

the texas wine lobby is strong, and when paired with the big beer manufacturers trying to strong arm out competition.... well...

Yeah I'm wondering if they've got them from mules/online for some? Green Walnut, De Leite and Lambikstoemper are all pretty surprising to see. Either way, jealous I won't be there.

That pic makes it look like all BiaB packaging, which wouldn't be surprising given the bottles there. Get ready to pay hefty prices, I'm sure.

No. Utah is still the shittiest.

-No beer on tap above 5% ABW.
-No homebrewing.
-No beer in supermarkets.
-Mormons look at you disappointingly you go into the (state controlled) liquor store.

Mormons look at you disappointingly
d60.gif

Great, guess where I´m going next year :(Utah.... Brother in law + new baby lives there. I´m worried just about bringing over some nice lambics to share with people. Will they arrest/shoot me?

Last edited:
Great, guess where I´m going next year :( Brother in law + new baby lives there. I´m worried just about bringing over some nice lambics to share with people. Will they arrest/shoot me?
Utah is actually the friendliest place I've ever gone, lol. Everyone there is almost overly friendly.

Well, I spend all my free time mountain biking over here, so really it´s the perfect destination. I just like to round off a ride with a nice beer ...or two.

Well, I spend all my free time mountain biking over here, so really it´s the perfect destination. I just like to round off a ride with a nice beer ...or two.

This is actually a great feature of Utah -- the craft breweries/brewpubs that do exist generally manage to produce some pretty tasty products in the 4% ABV range, which is exactly what I want after a day of hiking.

Great, guess where I´m going next year :(Utah.... Brother in law + new baby lives there. I´m worried just about bringing over some nice lambics to share with people. Will they arrest/shoot me?

Probably not, especially for small quantities. But when I moved my cellar from Denver to SF, I drove around Utah just in case.

That pic makes it look like all BiaB packaging, which wouldn't be surprising given the bottles there. Get ready to pay hefty prices, I'm sure.

$160 for the tasting plus zwanze glass, taster and shirt.

Hasn't seen the packaging but yeah that looks like BiaB. Although when was vig last up? Package deal?

Realize you are just joking, but a long time RB user (and he's on TB as well) was actually pulled over while moving and had his entire cellar (including some insanely rare ****) confiscated and destroyed while he contested the charges.

Seriously worth reading up on the laws as a just in case if you are planning on bringing any kind of quantity (sounds like illegal drugs right?).

Realize you are just joking, but a long time RB user (and he's on TB as well) was actually pulled over while moving and had his entire cellar (including some insanely rare ****) confiscated and destroyed while he contested the charges.

Seriously worth reading up on the laws as a just in case if you are planning on bringing any kind of quantity (sounds like illegal drugs right?).

Yikes, that's scary. This is why I'm extra cautious to need speed excessively when driving back from Hill Farmstead with a car loaded to the ceiling with beers.

Link to the story (if there is one online)? I'd be interested to read that.

This is what is happening at Schera's.
Copied from the confirmation email I got.

Zwanze Stout, 4oz.

Cantillon Gueze, 2.5oz

Cantillon Kriek, 2.5oz

Cantillon Iris Grand Cru, 2.5oz

Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, 2.5oz

Jester King Provenance Orange/Grapefruit, 2.5oz

Panil Barriquee Sour Ale, 4oz

This event will mark the first time both Jester King and Panil will be available on tap in Iowa!

Your package also includes a commemorative Zwanze day glass, plus lunch. This year we will feature Chicken Bahn Mi sandwiches. These Vietnamese sandwiches consist of marinated grilled chicken on French bread with cucumbers, cilantro, pickled carrots, and pickled daikon (a mild Japanese radish). They are awesome! A vegetarian version will also be available, so please let me know when you purchase tickets if there are any vegetarians in your party so I can get a good handle on how many vegetarian meals I’ll need. There will be various sides available as well.

Doors open at Noon on Saturday, September 19. The event will run through 5pm. Since this is a ticketed event, you are guaranteed a pour of each ticketed beer so you can experience the event at your own pace. That said—we will have a full house, so your patience is appreciated.

We are hoping again for a chill event like last year, and we are so excited to bringing Zwanze back to Iowa!

Brian

Schera’s

P.S. Did I mention that we are rounding out our tap list with some awesome rare beers from around the world, many which have never been seen in the state before? There will be ten more beers on tap for you to try on a cash basis.

P.P.S. There is no formal bottle share at this event, however, if you feel like sharing a bottle you’ve purchased with friends, old and new, feel free.

-No beer on tap above 5% ABW.
-No homebrewing.
-No beer in supermarkets.
-Mormons look at you disappointingly you go into the (state controlled) liquor store.

I thought Utah legalized homebrewing in 09 (and wine making)

i thought in 2013 the last state (alabama i think) was the last state to legalize home brewing

-No beer on tap above 5% ABW. - actually 3.2% abw which the same as 4% by volume
-No homebrewing. - nope, perfectly legal
-No beer in supermarkets. - nope, as long as it is below the 3.2% abw you can buy beer in supermarkets, gas stations, 7-11s etc
-Mormons look at you disappointingly you go into the (state controlled) liquor store. - you can buy beer out of the breweries directly these days

As some born and raised in SLC UT whom travels there every so so often I made some corrections

So I'll be in the area and was thinking about swinging by Monk's Cafe for this. My only prior Zwanze experience was at Jester King which has a little more space I believe.

Hobo's out of the question for me. I ain't driving there, and I ain't getting up at 5 AM to make it there via public transport.

You guys ever gone to the one in Portland (Novare Res) or Armsby Abby?

Hobo's out of the question for me. I ain't driving there, and I ain't getting up at 5 AM to make it there via public transport.

You guys ever gone to the one in Portland (Novare Res) or Armsby Abby?
Novare is pretty chill. Never crazy packed, but then again they usually only have 1-2 other Cantillons on draft and a couple of other cool things. Tickets for a pour of Zwanze (and glass) go on sale at 12. You can stick around until 3 or bounce around town for a couple of hours.

Can't wait for the **** show at Blue Monk in Buffalo. Thanks for making it ticketed but not for making it open to the public. Hopefully people stay away outside of the 140 with tickets, that has to be close to occupancy as is.

So I'll be in the area and was thinking about swinging by Monk's Cafe for this. My only prior Zwanze experience was at Jester King which has a little more space I believe.

Donno what Jester King is like but I doubt you will find a place smaller and more packed than Monks will be tomorrow.

Ive talked myself out of attending this one. Im gonna drink loons in the privacy of my own home and will roll the dice on later getting a bottle of this years zwanze if there is anything positive said about it.

Latest posts

Back