Yuengling lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Is now in Ohio and people are going bat **** crazy buying it. My son just raved about this and insisted that I HAD to try it. I just bought a 6 pack and am about three drinks into my first one. I am underwhelmed. It reminds me of a screwed up partigyle I made once minus the nasty after taste mine had. Don't get me wrong it is not awful beer and plenty drinkable. It is just that I was expecting to be blown away by how awesome it is.

It's good for the price and a nice peice of history but I can do without it. When compared to BMC it has a little more color and flavor so I'll give them that.

Yuengling has a nasty aftertaste to me, and is the absolute worst beer for thirst quenching in the summer. I'd rather drink Old Fizzywig on the Fourth of July than a 32º Yuengling!

I love the history behind it and would love to visit if ever in the area.

However, the first time I had it, all I could say was 'meh'. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's also nothing particularly notable about it either.

I was a big fan of it for a number of years, but something changed a few years ago it is not as good as it used to be. It is still better than BMC yes but not what was.

I enjoy it because it is American owned and brewed. I know tons of craft beers are as well but can't beat the local "Yuengs and Wings" deals at the local bar.

I drink it frequently. Never had a problem with it and it's always my go to on draft if there's nothing in the "craft" division wherever I'm eating.

Yuengling has a nasty aftertaste to me, and is the absolute worst beer for thirst quenching in the summer. I'd rather drink Old Fizzywig on the Fourth of July than a 32º Yuengling!

i lived in PA for a long time and Yuengling was the beer on tap everywhere, i hated that strange aftertaste too and always wondered what makes it taste that way.

Couldn't beat $1 pints of it in college. It's alright as a BMC+, but nothing to rave over. It got me started into better beers.

The history is cool and I hear their other offerings like the Amber (I think) and the Black and Tan are good. I've only had the lager and light lager. Both were very underwhelming. I'd take PBR any day over them. Yuengling is the new (Ohio) hipster beer for people who think it's cool to like beer, but don't. It's the new Stella.

If you look at the beer from the perspective of the typical BMC drinker Yuengling IS a wonderful beer. It has a nice color and, more importantly, flavor (compared to the recycled urine the big 3 sell).

If you are stuck without Craftbeer or Homebrew, Yuengling's is a good beer compared to many out there. I especially enjoy the Black and Tan. Many here in Indiana are hoping to see Yuengling's migrate to NW Indiana. Would love to see Yuengling's in ballparks and stadiums in Chicago.

I live about 20 mins from the brewery, and it's the only commercial beer I keep on tap. I agree it's not the greatest thing out there, but it's not that bad, and much better than the BMC'ss imo. As most of you know, there is always someone that that doesn't care for homebrew because they have grown used to the tasteless BMC swill.

Everyone's got different opinions. I love it. The Trad Lager has a ton more flavor than any BMC of the same style. It's a goto lawnmower beer for me whenever I can lay my hands on it.

Yuengling is no PBR! Ironic how Im sort of a beer snob and the only commercial beer I prefer over just about anything is a good ole PBR.

everyone's got different opinions. I love it. The trad lager has a ton more flavor than any bmc of the same style. It's a goto lawnmower beer for me whenever i can lay my hands on it.

+1

I really liked yuengling lager until I tried their black and tan. But for a summer beer their Lord Chesterfield cant be beat.

I really liked yuengling lager until I tried their black and tan. But for a summer beer their Lord Chesterfield cant be beat.

I like all those too. But I was actually surprised that I enjoyed the lager more than Lord Chesterfield's ale. I was brought up both of them at the same time, and i found myself grabbing the lager more than the ale.

Funny how the ale is lighter than the lager in color.

I always find it funny how people are so excited to try Yuengling since it's always been something readily available to me in NJ. I have a friend in Ohio who raves about it and has to get it every time he comes east.

Like everyone else has said, it's a perfectly good beer. Nothing exceptional, but a go-to when there's nothing especially interesting on tap.

Serious question: do you guys actually prefer Yuengling over a regular Budwieser? I'd take a Bud over Yuengling any day.

its funny you posted this. I was reading and thought " HELL I LIKE BUDWEISER BETTER" and then saw your post lol

The local store had that black and tan.. wish I had grabbed a sixer of that to try instead.

the lager is in about every bar/restaurant around here...been drinking the stuff occasionally since high school...and i agree with the posters that say it has kind of a bad aftertaste.

still better than most BMC products. the B&T isn't terrible, but the best thing yuengling offers is the porter imo.

i will never understand the hype behind the lager.

Yuengling is a great beer. It was the first beer I tried to make. I think you really have to have it on draft to appreciate it. The green bottles tend to skunk very quickly. Though a sea of green bottles during an Eagles game is a welcome sight (well maybe not this year). You are right that you always want what you don't have though. My Michigan and Chicago friends love Yeungling and I'm always bringing them cases. Meanwhile, I would love them to bring me some Bells and Goose Island which is harder for me to get.

We have two goose Island offerings at the new liquor store around the corner from me. They have a decent selection of craft beers. What they don't have,the Giant Eagle at the mall does,bells,DFH,all the ones you folks talk about.
The Black & Tan is smooth & tasty,even my wife was surprised. I like the yuengling lager for the simple fact that it's a traditional lager in both color & flavor. Nice change. Moreso because it's the oldest beer in the US,still family owned,& American. I really respect that. :rockin:

It is very cool to go into a pub here and say "I'll have a Lager." and there is no doubt at all what you mean. ;)

I will always have a special place in my heart for yuengling. I had had it in florida down by the pool a few years ago, and it was pretty damn tasty, so I started looking to see if I could find it around here and get a keg. Somehow my searched led me to a thread on a yuengling clone here on HBT. The rest is history...

Everyone's got different opinions. I love it. The Trad Lager has a ton more flavor than any BMC of the same style. It's a goto lawnmower beer for me whenever I can lay my hands on it.

Agreed. Yuengling is a "take me back" beer too. Lots of good memories formed and forgotten on that stuff. In Florida I could buy a 12 pack for $8.99. Now in AZ I can't get the stuff.

No, it's not an earth shattering beer. But it is a very reliable, extremely reasonably priced beer. I love me some Yingeryanger. :rockin:

Its like the Mcrib, alot of people leave the tri-state and then when they can get it again its exciting.

I love Yuengling. It's what got me into trying craft beer. The black & tan is great but oddly enough I don't care for the porter. Guess I'm spoiled by Southern Tier's which is my favorite porter.

I dig it as a bmc+ beer. Same price as bud when I was in SC, so there was no doubt for me of which to get. Nice that they have cheap, decent porter/black and tan too. Not my favorite beer of all time or anything. Like some I do have some fond college memories of parties at Ohio University after someone came back from PA w/ a ton of cases. Memories always help the taste buds. Ask damn near any chef what their favorite meal is, and they'll probably name something from their childhood.

I honestly never liked Yuengling. When all I had previously had was BMC, I thought it was good, but I then tried Sam Adams and realized i didn't really like Yuengling. Then I went to a local brewery and realized I didn't like Sam Adams as much as I thought I did.

After I have learned more about beer and trying more beers (even before I started homebrewing), Yuengling always had a funny taste to it. Most of my friends and their parents, even my father, always drink Yuengling. They all like other beers that I think are much better, but Yuengling is their go to. I'm sure it has something to do with the price, and I'm sure it has something to do with attending colleges in Pennsylvania.

But when I'm at a bar that serves the Guinness big three (Guinness, Harp, Smithwicks) a local brew, and sometimes even some good German Lagers, I'll pay the extra two bucks for something that doesn't remind me of BMC.

Back