You've all got one. Show us yours !!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
PC......what ya got.

I had a few but now it's this and a laptop.

02-23-2007-001-small.jpg

My first personal computer, 1979, built from a kit.

S-100 bus, 48KB RAM, 2MHz 8-bit Z-80, paper tape and 8-inch floppy. Running MPM, 4-user system.

2113-img_1145.jpg

My current system has morphed over the nine years I've had it, but it's based on a 1999 vintage dual Celeron ABIT. Time for another upgrade.

Nothing interesting there now. Just a couple of inexpensive laptops.
However at one time I had an Alpha 21164 PC running Linux and Windows. Pretty cool at the time. I worked for DEC at the time and we were able to get some boards designed for aftermarket and a couple of processors. After buying the components necessary to build the machine including the special memory required there was not much savings but the machines were fast for the time. No pictures unfortunately.

We called the processor the Frankenstein chip because it had a couple of bolts sticking out of the case to attach the heat sink to.

dec_alpha_21164a_ev56_front_1.jpeg

Craig

okay, if we are going retro.

I had these two.
the z80 was given to me by my uncle and my mum bought me the zx81.

TCMR-V14-P09.jpg

then a spectrum
acorn
BBC
Vic 16
C64
DOS PC machines
the Windows
A Texas something along the ways as well

I've got this at the office:

then the same tower at home except it's blue. This laptop to go back and forth:

and 24" both at home and at work.

My first was a TI-994a. Hated it! Basic programming and no hard drive. The cartridge games for it were crap too.

From then on it's been mass produced, box kit systems. Don't need much pc to check HBT.:cross:

This is my PC, its old by todays standards but still works well. I would have a much nicer system but I blew my electronics budget on brewing supplies:D

Pentium 4 3.2Ghz LGA775
Abit AW8-Max intel 955X chipset
1GB DDR2 533 ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 256mb
Realtek HD 7.1 onboard sound
WinTv HVR-1800 tv capture card
WD 36gb 10,000rpm with Gentoo
WD 320gb 7200rpm sata2 with windows xp

img5661pf7.jpg

EDIT: my first PC was an IBM XT, something like this
IBM_PC_XT_IMG_0502.jpg

Unfortunately I have to use 3 at the office.

One desk(floor) Top. main use.
One desktop for programming kit
One desktop (remote) on another site because of crap network and software issues.

And our IT guys wonder why I'm top of the IT call logger list.

Ed, I had one like that.

It was a "Luggable"

compaq_portable.jpg

Nothing interesting there now. Just a couple of inexpensive laptops.
However at one time I had an Alpha 21164 PC running Linux and Windows. Pretty cool at the time. I worked for DEC at the time and we were able to get some boards designed for aftermarket and a couple of processors. After buying the components necessary to build the machine including the special memory required there was not much savings but the machines were fast for the time. No pictures unfortunately.

We called the processor the Frankenstein chip because it had a couple of bolts sticking out of the case to attach the heat sink to.

dec_alpha_21164a_ev56_front_1.jpeg

Craig

Nice!!! Glad to see there are a few other people out there that got to experience a speedy system 5 years before the rest of the world. I had an Alpha 266 (21264 IIRC) that ran Redhat 5. My windows slowstation at work was a P75 I think. Windows 3.1 was a POS.

I had a screensaver rom distributed.net that cracked DES keys loaded on a couple windows boxes and one Alpha running Linux. The Alpha cranked out 20x the number of blocks as the pentium.

On a side note, I was just out in Sunnyvale for work last week and went to the computer history museum. It was pretty cool, but by far the neatest thing was a working model of babbages difference engine. I happened to walk in just as a guided tour started. What an incredible piece of machinery.

Edit: Watch the video here... Awesome

http://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/

Unfortunately I have to use 3 at the office.

One desk(floor) Top. main use.
One desktop for programming kit
One desktop (remote) on another site because of crap network and software issues.

And our IT guys wonder why I'm top of the IT call logger list.

Ed, I had one like that.

It was a "Luggable"

compaq_portable.jpg

I had the more compact version "The CoCo" but it does remind me of the old Goldline TEF10's from a few years back.

tef12.jpg

also "luggable".

SWMBO and I each have one of these, Mine is named Jezebel:
macbook-Amit.jpg

Hers is 2.16ghz/120gb/2gb, mine is 2.2ghz/120gb/2gb.
I also have a 17" G5 iMac upstairs in my bedroom, he's named Dante.

This is Odin.
n307400052_56663_8364.jpg

He's an Athlon 64 X2, 2gb RAM, and 750gb hdd space. He's my media server.

And then this is Duolith. He's at home right now, I can't take a pic. But this is the case he's in.
1.jpg

He's an Athlon 64 X2 4700+, 2gb ram, 512mb Radeon X1650 Pro, and a 160gb sata drive.

Finally, this is Randal, my work computer.
2009_06_12_10_40_37_mb871lla.jpg

2x 2.66GHz Xeon, 5 GB ram, 1.5 TB disk space. No Apple Cinema display here, I don't like 'em. Instead a 20" Sharp and a 24" Widescreen Samsung lcd monitor.

Swmbo and I both have a Dell INspron E581 with 4GB ram and a Dualcore 2.4Ghz AMD
Mine is \\Tab-A and hers is \\Slot-B

We also have my old 2Ghz AMD machine in a HDPC chassi connected to the 54inch LCD TV with a 500GB external drive that i download movies to.

Just recently got a HP Pavillion Elite. A decent machine out of the box to which I maxed out the RAM to 8GB.

All of which is useless thanks to Vista 64 bit. For the first few days I thought "whats all the fuss" and then I finally had all of my applications on it and now it runs backwards in time.

Finally, this is Randal, my work computer.
2009_06_12_10_40_37_mb871lla.jpg

2x 2.66GHz Xeon, 5 GB ram, 1.5 TB disk space.

Just an update, because I have nothing better to post about. :p

Replaced Randal with a new Mac Pro. Well.... Am replacing. It is here, but I haven't set it up, the past month has been too busy to work on my own projects. The New one is an 8 core, 8gb RAM, Nvidia GT120 graphics, and a 640gb hd. I'll be moving the other 500gb drives over as well. I have not yet named it. I am thinking I might name it Bodhisatva though, after the elephant from The Love Guru.

I have all the usuals... HP laptop, tower system I recently built... but my fav is the touchscreen computer at my bar:

bar2008_001.jpg

bar2008_002.jpg

bar2008_003.jpg

bar2008_004.jpg

bar2008_005.jpg

I use an Thinkpad T42 with 2 gigs of ram that I mostly troll around the house with. When I want some real estate though I dock it and drive 3 monitors with it.

Mushroomsreduced.jpg

My first was a Vic 20, then a C64, an Atari (with a mouse) and then a custom built PC around when Windows 95 came out. A few more years I messed with PC's at home and Macs at work, but when OSX was announced I went for Macs at home. Been through a few powerbooks, g4 towers, now I have a g5 dual 2 tower which I don't use much and a new 17" unibody Macbook pro 2.66ghz core 2 duo. I love the macbook pro! 4gb ram, led backlit 1900x1200 matte display, and I could run windoze if I want to.
cheers
2861_1140783434328_1069693023_412607_6745607_n.jpg

Very similar to my story -- Vic 20, C64, Amiga 500, then a series of home-built PCs starting with a 286, then (from work) Compaq laptop, then a series of ThinkPads.

Post our PC? Looks like I can't participate as I'm using a lil' ol' MacBook (frst generateion 2 GHz Core Duo with 2 GB of ram

I recently had to retire this one:
3501hth.jpg

Yes, that's duct tape, a binder clip, a cloth picture hanger, and some wire. (All necessary after the hinge broke.)

Back