Your Story Behind Choosing Your User Name/Handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidabcd

Detroit, Mi.
Reaction score
I regret, after seeing some really interesting user names, to not have given mine more thought (davidabcd). I only tried to grab a name that wouldn't get rejected. I chose something equally as lame on the UK sister-site: davidfromUS. Embarrassing!
Does anyone have a not-so-lame story?

Back in my group cycling days you could ride with someone for hours, but not recognize them once the helmet and gear came off at the end of the ride. Having a lot of tattoos on my legs people who didn't know me would say "I rode with that guy with the leg tattoos". During one ride as I dropped off the front of the pack after a really strong pull someone said "Good pull Inkleg". The name stuck and they called me Inkleg from then on.

Was watching LOTR. Lame, I know, but surprise! It was not a used name on this forum yet. We Physics types don't lead interesting lives.
YOU...SHALL..NOT...PASS!
That's a nice one.

i got mine from google translate, i was playing a video game that involved lot's of hunting animals....so i punched 'hunter' into it, to find the coolest sounding foreign word...ended up with Italian for 'poacher'.....

edit: sometimes i use 'jeger' german for hunter.....

Last edited:
Back in the days when CB radios were the thing, seemed like lots of supposedly bad-ass CB users had the handle "Snake" or "Python" or similar. It was pathetic.

What beats a snake? Why, a Mongoose, of course. So that became my CB handle, and I've used it more or less ever since. I've sometimes used a variation of "Goose" as well. I don't use Goose much--too many people think they're clever by saying "Talk to me, Goose." Ecchhh.

Last edited:
I'm going to think of what I would have chosen without a time constraint.

I think mine is fairly easy to decipher. I went by this during a time when I was very involved in cars and decided to keep using it when I came here.
If you wouldn't mind, you'll have to enlighten me; I don't get it. I would have just assumed first name plus last name initial.

I'm not very creative so mine is just a different way to spell Mike and the year I was born. Use that name for pretty much everything online.

Also from a video game. I was WoW fan when I made my name. Haven't played since Panda, though. Got to be too big a time sink and grind. Made some irl friends out of it and two of them actually met through the game and are happily married to this day.

Time sink is putting it lightly. It actually sort of sickens me how much time I stuck into EQ from 1999-2005. Or whenever WoW came out, that game pretty much killed EQ, and I hung up my mouse and keyboard about a year later. Still found myself attached to the names though.

Mine is self-explanatory. My name is Mark and I’m a grandfather.

My son and DIL have two boys. The oldest turns 20 next week, the youngest is 16. My daughter and SIL also have two boys. The oldest is 4, the youngest 18 months.

I’m pushing 70. If I inherited more of my paternal grandmother’s genes I might be around long enough to see the youngest one become a grandfather. If I inherited more of my maternal grandfather’s genes I might be gone by next Thursday. Life is quite a crapshoot, ain’t it. :cool:

Mine is self-explanatory. My name is Mark and I’m a grandfather.

My son and DIL have two boys. The oldest turns 20 next week, the youngest is 16. My daughter and SIL also have two boys. The oldest is 4, the youngest 18 months.

I’m pushing 70. If I inherited more of my paternal grandmother’s genes I might be around long enough to see the youngest one become a grandfather. If I inherited more of my maternal grandfather’s genes I might be gone by next Thursday. Life is quite a crapshoot, ain’t it. :cool:
We'll keep an eye on ya. Mainly to loot your drops.

I regret, after seeing some really interesting user names, to not have given mine more thought (davidabcd). I only tried to grab a name that wouldn't get rejected. I chose something equally as lame on the UK sister-site: davidfromUS. Embarrassing!
Does anyone have a not-so-lame story?
listen to the song ,Soulshine. then you'll know .

I've never heard that song before. I just listened to the first part on YouTube. Nice, very nice.

Can't listen to it all, as I'm brewing right now. In the middle of the mash, I need to go do my thing.
its by the Allman Brothers Band.
basically and to the point.
Soulshine- its better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sho' better than the rain.

Years ago while trying to pick out an AIM username I was getting frustrated that everything was already taken. On the desk next to me was a small plastic magnifying glass with the logo Novacor Plastics LTD. on the handle.

Novacor was already taken, but after trying a few different numbers after it I had a username that I use for most of my online handles.

My username is something I came up with back when I was a pharmacy tech about 25 years ago. "Sea" for Seattle, and "tazzz" for tasmanian devil; back in the day I moved very fast and left vapor trails according to my coworkers; and was kinda mean to people I didn't know. Brewery name...another pharmacy tech memory. One of the guys I worked with named me Speedbump, because apparently I needed one.

I used to sell fire hose and one of my biggest accounts was a company called Firerat.

I babysat the account and was know as firerat in my office. Not my choice but what can you do.

Then I signed up to another forum for one my other hobbies and used firerat as it seemed a bit unique.

It's been my online moniker for a bit over a decade now here and various other forums.

Well, mine is pretty complex...

I brew, my name is Brad, and I was born in 82.

Yeah, pretty terrible on the creative front. But I do enjoy Monty Python and Tim the Enchanter is one of the best characters, so that is my avatar.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Back