Your favourite AK recipe?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
AK seems to have died out as a style in the 1930's. These were all partigyled anyway. Any "modern" recipes are new vs being a unbroken pedigree brewed for over a 100 years.

patto1ro

Reaction score
AK seems to have died out as a style in the 1930's. These were all partigyled anyway. Any "modern" recipes are new vs being a unbroken pedigree brewed for over a 100 years.
The brewery in my hometown - Holes, later Courage - still had AK as its flagship beer in the 1980s. Many AKs were parti-gyled, but not all of them.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The brewery in my hometown - Holes, later Courage - still had AK as its flagship beer in the 1980s. Many AKs were parti-gyled, but not all of them.
Fair point, and I had just assumed these were all parti-gyled. Like anything, there are outliers vs the "standard". If nothing else, the Shut Up About Barkley blog makes the point that there are plenty of brewery exceptions to the "standard" for every beer style in the Isles.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
McMullen claim to have brewed their AK continuously for 185 years, but it is an exception, it's the coelacanth of the beer world. And obviously there will have been tweaks to the recipe, they wouldn't have been using WGV in the 19th century. Also worth noting its strapline is "The Original Mild"...

kevin58

Reaction score
Fair point, and I had just assumed these were all parti-gyled. Like anything, there are outliers vs the "standard". If nothing else, the Shut Up About Barkley blog makes the point that there are plenty of brewery exceptions to the "standard" for every beer style in the Isles.
And you just replied to Ron Pattinson (patto1ro) who writes that blog.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And you just replied to Ron Pattinson (patto1ro) who writes that blog.
:eek: D'oh! Color me embarrased!

To be clear, that was a compliment! His Whitbread 1930 AK at 56 IBU blew away my perception of british beers being mildly hopped, and is in my regular rotation. And his birthday recipe for me was a parti-gyled Fuller's AK beauty from 1925 (right day but Ron had to go back in years to deliver on my request for a 3%ish ABV recipe). LOL, that's prolly where it stuck in my head that AK's were all parti-gyled. ;)