Your experience of Red-X?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about doing a lighter beer with 5-10% red x and the rest 2 row. Would the red x add much at that much flavor at a small percentage

Just hearing about this malt. I might have to do a SMASH Irish red with it. Interesting how that maltster was able to get that color while keeping 60L of DP.
Beersmith gives me this preview.

redx.jpg

I was thinking about doing a lighter beer with 5-10% red x and the rest 2 row. Would the red x add much at that much flavor at a small percentage

I would think it would have a similar effect to munich in small amounts. Somewhere between light and dark.

Just hearing about this malt. I might have to do a SMASH Irish red with it. Interesting how that maltster was able to get that color while keeping 60L of DP.

View attachment 736553

That looks a bit orange to me. You should get a decent red hue suitable for an IRA.

IMG_20210713_192153.jpg

I brewed a Red IPA with a grain bill of 86% redx, 10% munich and the rest of the grain bill split between roasted barley and aromatic malt. Hops were mostly Eldorado along with some Mosaic and MJ m44 yeast. I am pretty happy with the end result, I especially like the color (srm18). I think next time I'll add a little more hop flavor as this recipe is a bit mild for my liking.

I have this fermenting now. Decided to add more wheat so i have enough red left for 2 more batches. I was a bit drunk when brewing so missed my OG by 8 points. Also added some pedio the next day thinking it was brett. Hopefully the IBU's will be high enough to prohibit souring or this beer could end up being blended.

25l batch
OG 1042
4kg red x
1kg wheat
500g flaked oats

20 IBU hop tea.
20g mosaic, 40g citra and 40g simcoe steeped at 75.
Using all the brett strains i have as far as i remember. WLP648,650,653. Beersel blend and sour batch kidz.

View attachment 736758
I brewed a Red IPA with a grain bill of 86% redx, 10% munich and the rest of the grain bill split between roasted barley and aromatic malt. Hops were mostly Eldorado along with some Mosaic and MJ m44 yeast. I am pretty happy with the end result, I especially like the color (srm18). I think next time I'll add a little more hop flavor as this recipe is a bit mild for my liking.

That's really a sweet lookin' brew. I've still got about 10# of Red-X sitting around and some left-over Munich as well. Problem solved!

View attachment 736553
Imo not suitable for an Irish red. Too much (good) flavour in this. Irish red derives it's colour from roasted barley, not highly kilned malts. Even adding crystal is debatable, original thing would be some UK pale, mo or similar, plus a dash of roasted barley.

However, red-x shines in everything American. Red ale, red IPA, everything with strong hop accent. Probably red Belgian something would also work well.

.... I mean at the end, of course, you can brew what you like and I'm pretty sure that a smash with noble hops and a clean yeast will yield a pretty tasty beer it's just not what would be described as an Irish red in Ireland.

But on the other hand... I had American red ales in Ireland that were sold as Irish red, so.... Nobody actually cares :D

Imo not suitable for an Irish red. Too much (good) flavour in this. Irish red derives it's colour from roasted barley, not highly kilned malts. Even adding crystal is debatable, original thing would be some UK pale, mo or similar, plus a dash of roasted barley.

However, red-x shines in everything American. Red ale, red IPA, everything with strong hop accent. Probably red Belgian something would also work well.

.... I mean at the end, of course, you can brew what you like and I'm pretty sure that a smash with noble hops and a clean yeast will yield a pretty tasty beer it's just not what would be described as an Irish red in Ireland.

But on the other hand... I had American red ales in Ireland that were sold as Irish red, so.... Nobody actually cares :D

Guess I'll have to call it an "Irish-American Red." ;)

Back