Your experience of Red-X?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Beer666

Reaction score
Has anyone been using red-x? I really like this grain, the colour is awesome and the flavour it contributes works really well in malt forward beers.
Really like the fact you don't need a ton of crystal to get a deep red colour as well.
I just bought a sack and intend to brew a red rice lager, a red ipa, a couple of red sours and a stout. Will replace the maris otter in the stout and see if I can tell the difference.
Probably going to mash really low to increase attenuation in the lager as my last one finished at 1012.

hout17

It's BREW 30!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to hear thoughts as well. I've heard either you like it or you don't.

BYO has a recipe for Stones Red X IPA that I'm considering but I haven't tasted this malt. I will try it eventually to see anyway.

OP
Beer666

Beer666

Reaction score
People are complaining about low attenuation and suggesting a step mash but in my experience I have had no issues. Was getting 1010 with pilsner malt mashing at 65c so not worried about a few extra points.
What hops are in the red ipa?

Bohern

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have brewed with it helping a friend who used it for an Irish Red, he used it @ 26% of the base paired with 52% Marris Otter. The beer turned out very good and had a nice red color.

Brooothru

Reaction score
Used it last year in an Irish Red ale. In an interview with the maltster at BestMalz, he said that a step mash with a protein rest was necessary to get the benefit from the malt. I went 50%-50% Red X and Maris Otter. The beer tasted great but the color was too dark for me. My screw-up. I added 4 oz BlackPrinz and 4 oz melanoidin which was overkill for 5 gallons.

I didn't find it any more finicky than any other base malt, and it performed well using a step mash. Good attenuation and hit my numbers. Used A09 Pub IIRC, and Fuggles and EKG for hops. Still have 5# sitting in the grain bin, so I've only used it once.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've so far only used it once, in a red ipa. I had a really simple grain bill: 67% red X and 33% 2 row. I liked the result, but when I make another red IPA with it, I'm going heavier on the hops. That grain seems to have a ton of flavor to it, and I didn't take that into enough consideration.

I like the idea of using it in a red lager though. Hmm...

Brooothru

Reaction score
I've so far only used it once, in a red ipa. I had a really simple grain bill: 67% red X and 33% 2 row. I liked the result, but when I make another red IPA with it, I'm going heavier on the hops. That grain seems to have a ton of flavor to it, and I didn't take that into enough consideration.

I like the idea of using it in a red lager though. Hmm...
Good observation on malt flavor vs hops. I went heavy on the EKG and Fuggles in my Irish Red yet it didn't seem like I'd added enough hops (trying to reduce and recalibrate my 'lupulin shift'). The Red was good and malty, but seemed a little out of balance. I figured it must have been the melanoidin or dark malt or maybe lower than actual AA% than I'd calculated. Could have been the Maris, but looking back it seems like it was the Red X, which also has a small portion of melanoidin.

hout17

It's BREW 30!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
People are complaining about low attenuation and suggesting a step mash but in my experience I have had no issues. Was getting 1010 with pilsner malt mashing at 65c so not worried about a few extra points.
What hops are in the red ipa?
I'm assuming this was directed at the OP but figured I'd throw in the hop schedule for the Red IPA I mentioned above.

Magnum first wort
Mosaic (15 min)
Cascade (15 min)
Mosaic (0 min)
Cascade (0 min)
Amarillo (0 min)

Dry hop
Mosaic, Cascade, Amarillo

OP
Beer666

Beer666

Reaction score
Interesting thoughts on upping the IBU's. Will definitely have to use more hops this time. I seem to remember wanting a bit more bite in the lager i brewed. I didn't use a flamout addition but i think this time i will do one and increase FWH by 25%.

I like the sound of the hop combo there Hout, will have to make an order this week. Think i will keep the grist to red-x and a little biscuit.

Latest posts