You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is off-topic, but close enough. i brewed sunday, and it's done fermenting tuesday?

i honestly expected it to take a few more days, and now i don't have any empty kegs to put it in!

guess i was a little too gungho to get it brewed.

This is off-topic, but close enough. i brewed sunday, and it's done fermenting tuesday?

i honestly expected it to take a few more days, and now i don't have any empty kegs to put it in!

Geez dude I thought I pushed my beers too fast...the one I did on Sunday has already dropped its krausen but I'm restraining myself from dropping the dry hop for at least 3 more days, cause it's going to be a big one. Plenty of healthy yeast and constant temperature did it. And I also don't have an empty keg for it....yet. Working on that as I type.

Maybe not this weekend, but I propose a race between the two of us...we pick the recipe, hops, yeast (fresh, not slurry or washed), and date, and see who gets good beer (not just drinkable, both of us can drink too-young beer and like it) first. A 'la brulosophy, but more fun. Whaddya think? I'd be willing to ship a couple of bottles down to AZ as long as it's not too pricey. No kveik, has to be something like Notty or one of the Safeales (hey I'm proposing this, I get to make a couple rules, and I don't like using liquid yeast). You can use your own self-kilned malt. Hops have to be something we already have in stock. Interested?

Geez dude I thought I pushed my beers too fast...the one I did on Sunday has already dropped its krausen but I'm restraining myself from dropping the dry hop for at least 3 more days, cause it's going to be a big one. Plenty of healthy yeast and constant temperature did it. And I also don't have an empty keg for it....yet. Working on that as I type.

Maybe not this weekend, but I propose a race between the two of us...we pick the recipe, hops, yeast (fresh, not slurry or washed), and date, and see who gets good beer (not just drinkable, both of us can drink too-young beer and like it) first. A 'la brulosophy, but more fun. Whaddya think? I'd be willing to ship a couple of bottles down to AZ as long as it's not too pricey. No kveik, has to be something like Notty or one of the Safeales (hey I'm proposing this, I get to make a couple rules, and I don't like using liquid yeast). You can use your own self-kilned malt. Hops have to be something we already have in stock. Interested?
giphy.gif

I think the topic of dreams has come up before, but i had this dream last night.

I was dreaming i took a sample of beer on my new digital refrac and was worried all night that i didn't use a wet tissue to clean the lense....i was really concerned about it all night. but i just checked and it WAS actually just a dream!

I think the topic of dreams has come up before, but i had this dream last night.

I was dreaming i took a sample of beer on my new digital refrac and was worried all night that i didn't use a wet tissue to clean the lense....i was really concerned about it all night. but i just checked and it WAS actually just a dream!
I've done that too, except it was cleaning. Dreamt I came out to the garage to brew and everything was filthy/nasty from the last brewday. Woke up the next morning to a sparkling clean brewery. Think it was one of those druk brewdays where I did everything on autopilot and couldn't remember that I did it. Or I got up in my sleep and cleaned the brewery. Whatever.

Here's one: when it's Mother's Day, and my absolutely wonderful husband wants to take me out for dinner, but I would rather stay home, cook ribs & rice, and drink my own homebrew. Also I really don't feel like dressing in clothes suitable to be seen in public. Jammie pants and sweatshirt still showing signs of grain dust from brewing this morning? Oh hells yes.

LOL, you still wear a shirt? when i brew in the house with 12 gallons boiling on the stove i strip down to my boxer briefs! 😛 :mug:
Gee thanks for that very disturbing visual in my imagination. Also I wear a hat. Keeps the grain bits from coating my hair when I shake out the mash bag.

well, i've had a graduated cylinder sitting with a hyrdo in it...for a few days, now i'm wondering how much vinegar effects the refractive index...

How about when you're "working from home" and have your personal laptop/computer with the HBT site (as well as others the corp firewall might not like) so you don't miss out... Not to mention searching for things that come to mind during the day. Plus watching different brewing (most not home brewing level) vids on the uubertuber...

Lol you sound like me. My wife says I enjoy brewing more than drinking the beers. Maybe so but I truly enjoy home brewed beers and having a variety on hand. Therefore, I brew.

How about when you're "working from home" and have your personal laptop/computer with the HBT site (as well as others the corp firewall might not like) so you don't miss out... Not to mention searching for things that come to mind during the day. Plus watching different brewing (most not home brewing level) vids on the uubertuber...
Please stop spying on me, it's awkward.

That said, I felt a little relief when this didn't end with "...from home and you accidently bring the beer glass instead of the water glass into the camera angle".

I use stainless tumblers now...

When you start getting worried because you haven't heard your fermentation fridge cycle on at all during the day, thinking to yourself 'oh s***! Did the compressor go out already or something?!' only to realize that sometimes the stars do align and the homebrew gods smile upon you, and that your fridge has been holding a rock steady temperature the whole time since you plugged it in to your temperature controller.

When you got laid off your job this spring and after looking/talking around and likely have a new job starting by late summer, your first thought is that you're kinda bummed to not have a bunch off free time for brew related stuff.
Gonna brew tomorrow morning after leaving the older kid at daycare, good luck doing a midweek daytime brew while working you know.
I really have to win that lottery ticket, become economically undependent and buy a farm so I can do nothing but tend to crops/animals, hunt and brew all day.

When you got laid off your job this spring and after looking/talking around and likely have a new job starting by late summer, your first thought is that you're kinda bummed to not have a bunch off free time for brew related stuff.
Gonna brew tomorrow morning after leaving the older kid at daycare, good luck doing a midweek daytime brew while working you know.
I really have to win that lottery ticket, become economically undependent and buy a farm so I can do nothing but tend to crops/animals, hunt and brew all day.
Pro tip from a farmer with 45 years of experience-don’t buy a farm and expect to have a lot of free time unless you don’t plan to keep the farm very long. :cool:

The only reason I can take the time to brew pretty much whenever I want to is that I have a 45 year old son and a 21 year old grandson to do the heavy lifting. I only have to keep the books and pay the bills-things I can actually do while I’m brewing. :D

Pro tip from a farmer with 45 years of experience-don’t buy a farm and expect to have a lot of free time unless you don’t plan to keep the farm very long. :cool:

The only reason I can take the time to brew pretty much whenever I want to is that I have a 45 year old son and a 21 year old grandson to do the heavy lifting. I only have to keep the books and pay the bills-things I can actually do while I’m brewing. :D
Yeah, I basically grew up on my grandparents farm where they raised sheep, I know commercial farming is a lot of work even though small scale farming for self sustaining is a bit different.
Altough losing my job was probably a good thing as it made my wife finally get aboard with my idea to F the city and move up to the far north where her sister lives, and you can get a house double the size of our current and with about an acre of land, for about 1/8 of the price... So might do some farming anyways, but then we are talking growing some potatoes, carrots and onions and beans/lentils, not to mention the vastly greater hunting opportunities.

Back