You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are end plugs for airbag inflators. The operator for this machine wrote Saaz (same) because it was rejected for the same reason as the others. When I saw it, I really read Saaz and did a double take.

When you wake up with toxic gas from lentils you ate the night before, and even after dumping the trub you continue to blowoff violently all morning. Then when you notice there hasn't been any airlock activity for a few hours, you conclude that your 'imperial lentil stout' must have reached FG... Time to rack off to secondary I guess then 'mash in' another batch. :rolleyes:

When you wake up with toxic gas from lentils you ate the night before, and even after dumping the trub you continue to blowoff violently all morning. Then when you notice there hasn't been any airlock activity for a few hours, you conclude that your 'imperial lentil stout' must have reached FG... Time to rack off to secondary I guess then 'mash in' another batch. :rolleyes:
HAHAHAHA!! yup.. Me and lentils DO NOT get along.. 12 rounds of championship boxing going on in the the old digestive track for me after I eat those.

you start to question your homebrewing status, when other homebrewers are drinking so much they start hallucinating! lol, AT WORK!:tank:

I bought a WonderMill for making flour out of them and mixing with gluten to make lentil bread! And doughnuts!

You refer to the process of filling up your drink/plate with extra beverage/food because you know your wife will drink/eat some of it as, “overbuilding.”

You remember you have 10 bottles of InBev IPA left over from august in the drawer below your kegs...And think to yourself, nah, i'd rather have some homemade!

You get excited about knocking the price down for a batch by a buck. saving you about 36 bucks a year!

edit: and realize the sub to HomeBrew Town already paid for itself!

Last edited:
when 30 min after finishing a brew session and pitching your yeast...Your filling your beer glass next to the fermenter, and hear the first bubble out the airlock...and almost jizz your pants!

When you walk into the back room where two 5 gal CBs of pale ale are brewing, and the Hop-o-licious smell hits your nose....!!!!! And turn the corner into the room where the nice merlot is jest getting going.....RRrrrrrlllll.

Okay not too proud of this one but here goes...you know you're a home brewer, when, in the course of updating notes one night, you (who are also a smoker) discover your cheap BiC lighter is dead, and you use the blowtorch normally used for lighting burners to light your smoke. And realize it takes a very precise touch to do so. Yes I still have eyebrows. Half a smoke gone in lighting it, however....

And here's another one. You know you're a homebrewer when your significant other texts you that there is a power outage in our neighborhood. And your immediate response is OH POOPY MY BEER!!! In the ferment chamber after only three days with another couple to go in primary. Food possibly spoiling in house fridge? Meh. Animals possibly having to snuggle together for warmth? (they all like each other so, again, meh, and it's the PNW fall, so still warm outside, meh.). Beer fermenting and possibly going wonky? Oh noes, the world is ending and sky is falling!!!

And here's another one. You know you're a homebrewer when your significant other texts you that there is a power outage in our neighborhood. And your immediate response is OH POOPY MY BEER!!!

This exact thing happened to me today. I had the wife FaceTime me while I was at work to show me the carboy temp from the stick-on fermometer in my ferm chamber. And then again when the power kicked back on to show me the current temp on the temp controller.

being that this was resurrected....

i want to say when you join a hommebrew forum and get jinxed and get strait sour batches for not sanitizing...and never had a problem before then....but, got the awesome idea for a oven mod, and smoked malt...and more i can;t remember, but every google search leads here so they got 25 out of me for a year!

wait...and being that i'm the only one that owns a breathalyzer around here...it just told me .32 so it's bed time for me!

You get excited about knocking the price down for a batch by a buck. saving you about 36 bucks a year!

edit: and realize the sub to HomeBrew Town already paid for itself!

The local brewshop gives me a $15 discount after the fifth brew supply purchase. If done right with saved hops and yeast that's enough for one extra brew day - especially when liquid yeast packets are costing half that amount.

Here's a good one; you know you're a MARRIED (and/or in a committed relationship) homebrewer when you do a sneaky run to the LHBS while husband is out shopping, get home before he does and have everything put away, and then don't get mad when he announces he bought a PS4 on OfferUp. And then admit to sneaky LHBS run. Laughs were had by all, and I'm up for an early morning brewday today.

You know you're a home brewer when you've been shopping the Black Friday deals continuing into December, and when spouse asks what gifts you might want for the coming holidays, you reply I've gotten a bunch of brewing stuff already....

I know it's the subject of another thread, but music is a HUGE part of my brewday. And I always note what I was listening to in the extensive (sometimes rambling, a few times druk typing) notes I keep for every brewday. Husband doesn't like the fact that our one laptop lives in the brewery but I need it there.

FYI
I have found that Yeast are most productive while listening to Country music!
Maybe it’s all of those drinking songs?

When the crock pot is just not boiling the creamed corn.
So you ladel out some to boil it in a small pot on the stove to add heat quicker.
After stirring it back in, it’s still not close enough to boiling so you do it again.
And again.

Then tell everyone it’s a triple decoction creamed corn.

When the crock pot is just not boiling the creamed corn.
So you ladel out some to boil it in a small pot on the stove to add heat quicker.
After stirring it back in, it’s still not close enough to boiling so you do it again.
And again.

Then tell everyone it’s a triple decoction creamed corn.

With all the requisite LODO precautions, I presume? Everybody knows today's cream corn is fully modified and doesn't require a decoction, but I find that decocted cream corn tastes more 'yellow' and is worth the extra work.

* leaves to start a LODO Cream Corn thread

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back