Yet another does this look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True_Sycko

Reaction score
So I am making the All-Grain car bomb stout recipe with a few tweaks. Anyways I used the Wyeast Irish strain and made a 1.88L starter. That went fine. Then brew day came and went without a hitch. I shook to aerate it and it was definitly foamy. I pitched the yeast at roughly 68 (I couldn't get the wort colder even with the wort chiller) at 3 in the afternoon on Saturday. I then placed it downstairs where the temps usually hover around 62. I left after and when I got home a was little to drunk and just passed out. When I awoke at around 10 and checked on it there was some residue up the sides which looked normal but no krausen. My other batches has it within 12 hours. This batch though had big huge bubbles on the surface of the wort when I checked and there was definitely alot of movement inside the better bottle and the blowoff was going crazy. Now the blowoff has calmed down but the top of the beer still has those huge sticky bubbles but no krausen still. So what gives? I am not to worried, ok well a little.

Sorry for posting this but it just doesn't look "normal".

6# US 2-row
2# flaked barley
1# Black Barley (500SRM)
0.5# Black Patent
0.125# Acid Malt
1.5oz EKG's @ 60
1# lactose @15
6oz Dutch Processed Cocoa @ 15 Minutes
Wyeast 1084 Irish with 1.88L starter

BIAB Method
Mashed @ 156 to 150 for 75 minutes in 7 gallons
Mash out at 170 for 10 minutes
Sparged with 4 quarts.

Pre-boil gravity: 1.35
Volume: ~7g
Boil: 60 minutes
Post-boil OG: 1.058
Volume: 5.25g
Pitched whole 1.88L yeast starter

Est Mash Efficiency 82.8%
Brewhouse efficiency: 83.2%

IMG_20120326_1756011.jpg

Thanks!
Mike

Looks great. RDWHAHB and leave it alone

There are lots of things that effect krausen:
hops, yeast, trub, grain, grain crush, ferm temp, your fermentation dance execution, and on and on

Every recipe looks and acts a bit different, even same batches of the same recipe can vary.

This looks just fine!

So another question... Took my gravity reading Friday (6 days) and it was still at 1.030. It was fermenting at 62-64ish. So I moved the fermenter to a 70 degree water bath (tried swirling the it a bit while moving). So I checked it today and (8 days) and its still stuck at 1.030. Should I just wait some more or buy more yeast and pitch it?

So another question... Took my gravity reading Friday (6 days) and it was still at 1.030. It was fermenting at 62-64ish. So I moved the fermenter to a 70 degree water bath (tried swirling the it a bit while moving). So I checked it today and (8 days) and its still stuck at 1.030. Should I just wait some more or buy more yeast and pitch it?

Buy some Amylase Enzyme and add 1/2 to a teaspoon. It will work slowly but it will convert unfermentable sugars into fermentables and dry your beer out. Just give it a gentle stir in. I keep a bottle on hand and add a teaspoon to my mash water

One of the best threads on this site is the "pictures of infected beer"

People see hundreds and hundreds of pictures of good beer... but once you go look at that thread (search for it) you will see dozens of pictures of INFECTED beer and you'll be able to see the difference without question.

So on Saturday I added 5 tsp of Yeast nutrient and a pack of S-04. Took a sample today and nothing... I am thinking maybe my mash temps got a little to high. This sucks. Oh well it still tastes good but it will only be 1.9% before the Jameson mixture. I'm debating whether to bottle it or just toss it and start over.

Dude, don't toss it. You may like it after you add the Jameson. You just said yourself, "It still tastes good."

True, It tasted good last week, today tasted kinda not. But I am also sick as hell and couln't even taste garlic bread. I will probably just transfer to secondary with the Jameson/vanilla/oak chip mixture. I just dont want to waste the Jameson... :cross:

Back