Yeast taste Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatsack

Reaction score
Ok, I know this type of question has been asked a bunch of times, and I've searched for and read all the threads about it, and tried the suggestions.
I am on brew number 6 now and I just can't get rid of the strong yeast taste from my beers. I've tried letting it ferment for a hella long time time, long time, shorter than normal, normal time. I have no idea what to do at this point. Its really disappointing because I can taste the tastes I wanted in the brews, but it is just marred by the yeast taste. any help is greatly appreciated. i am just putting it from the fermenter and bottle carbonating, if that helps at all.
And if you are going to be a dick about it and tell me to just use the search function and look for other threads like this, dont respond please.

I'm having the same problem and I think it is cause I am getting yeast carry over I moved to doing a secondary anD I feel like it helped if your not doing a secondary give it a try to get the beer off the yeast cake before you get it too big also plan on the bottling a few days ahead moving the carboy to the final destination with 48 hrs of it not being moved to really settle the yeast before bottling or kegging it takes a long time till it settles so this will help alot if you don't have a secondary do a search for water supply shops in your area you can find 5 gal carboys for cheap like $10 hope this helps

What kind of yeast are you using? Some yeasts will dominate the beer, but that can be a good thing if that is the style you are looking for, such as hefeweizens, Belgians, and English ales. You may also want to be careful when racking so that you don't pull sediment from the bottom of the fermentor, transferring more yeast than necessary to the bottles.

ekjohns, that is the longest sentence I've ever read.

Can you be more specific with long, normal and short times for fermentation.

What temps do you ferment at? How long do you condition after packaging before drinking?

My thought and personal experience has my beer tasting "yeasty" when I ferment at low end temps (low 60's) for the yeasts I use. I try to put a space heater next to the fermenter in the winter after the initial fermentation has finished. Then it might sit for another 2 weeks to allow it to condition a little.

Have you tried the search function???? sorry couldn't resist, but seriously I use google to search this site. Nto saying your a bum and didn't try to search for the answer but offering a better way to search.

Here's how I do my searches of this site from google type the following in the search field.
yeast site:www.homebrewtalk.com

Sorry if you did try it but someone else may benefit from reading it. Basically you enter what your searching for then add site:www.homebrewtalk.com after your search string.

ekjohns, that is the longest sentence I've ever read.
ditto

Yeah sorry I answered using an iPhone so putting in a period is a major pita.

i don't know what your procedure is but here's mine. i let the beer sit for a 3-6 weeks in the primary. then i siphon from the primary to the bottling bucket using an auto-siphon with the little cap on the end to prevent sucking up the trub. when the siphon is on the bottom of the primary i DO NOT MOVE IT unless i absolutely have to. i then bottle as normal and let it sit for 3 weeks to carb up. next i let the beer sit in the fridge for a week before opening. when i pour the beer into the glass i am careful not to chug the beer. this will disturb the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. i keep an eye on the beer when i see a "yeast slick" on the top of the beer inside the bottle i stop pouring. there should be about a .25" of beer left in the bottom of the bottle.

also make sure fermentation is actually done before you rack it out of the primary.

Back