Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart

Reaction score
noticed that my yeast starter poped open when i put it in the fridge. Is my starter infected? Or did the cold temperature from inside the fridge saved it?

No way to answer that, but what were you using? Aluminum foil is a great lid for any vessel, for future reference.

I personally wouldn't use it. Cold only delays things like mold from growing, it doesn't put it into permanent dormancy.

But I'm always super paranoid about infection.

What exactly popped off? And why?

It's really your call.
If it came off for a few seconds or even minutes it's probably fine. If the cover was off for several hours, maybe. Much longer, hmm, possibly OK, but what else could have gotten in there?

If your fridge blows cold air who knows what was recirculated. Even if your fridge is immaculate and has always been that way, it's not even remotely sanitary by our standards.

That said, I've cold crashed many jugs and flasks with yeast starters, and am sure some fridge air got sucked in in all of them and never had a problem. Even when those jars and flasks were in there, with their foil cap on, for weeks.

If you're not quite in a hurry to use it, add a little of that yeast to some starter wort in a (small) jug, put an airlock on it and let it ferment on the counter. See and taste what comes out.

I the yeast takes off it may crowd out whatever infection got in there.

There is a way to wash yeast (using a dilution of phosphoric acid in sterile water) to kill or deter (possible) infections. You'd do that right before pitching.

Back