Okay to Pitch Cold Yeast into Room-Temp Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Today's brew-day SNAFU: forgot to take my 2-liter yeast starter out of the fridge for a NEIPA. Now I'm in the boil phase & hope to pitch after a 20min whirlpool and cool-down (90min from now?).

Is it better to fill my fermenter and wait until my yeast gets to room temp to pitch (risking infection form a dry hop bag I've set up with magnets inside), or should I pitch cold, after only an hour or two out of fridge into the 67F/19C wort?

As always, thanks!

The instructions on packets of Imperial yeast say to keep them refrigerated until time to pitch, so they imply pitching cold yeast into ferm temp wort.

Brew on :mug:

The instructions on packets of Imperial yeast say to keep them refrigerated until time to pitch, so they imply pitching cold yeast into ferm temp wort.

Thanks, doug239cz!
My Omega yeast says let come up to room temp for 3hrs, but yeast is yeat, yeah?
Say, you from Czech Republic (cz in your handle)? I get over there very few years for work. Beautiful country!

Thanks, doug239cz!
My Omega yeast says let come up to room temp for 3hrs, but yeast is yeat, yeah?
Say, you from Czech Republic (cz in your handle)? I get over there very few years for work. Beautiful country!
Nope, nothing to do with the Czech Republic. At one time I was considering building a Cozy Mk4 airplane, and the registration number that I had reserved for it was "N293CZ." CZ for Cozy, and 293 because that was the serial number of the plan set that I had purchased.

Last edited:
Nope, nothing to do with the Czech Republic. At one time I was considering building a Cozy Mk4 airplane, and the registration number that I had reserved for it was "N293CZ." CZ for Cozy, and 293 because that was the serial number of the plan set that I had purchased.

Even cooler, doug294cz! Happy flying

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC the instructions said nothing about warming prior to pitching.

I must have read somewhere to pitch yeast within 10°C of the wort temp to prevent temp shock. It's engraved in my memory.
Instructions for pitching rehydrated dried yeast say the same.

In the OP's case, decant all or most of the (clear) supernatant, so only the slurry is left.
It's easy and fast to bring that relatively small amount of slurry slowly to the chilled wort temp.

Back