Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A7teck

Reaction score
I'll be brewing my 5th batch relatively soon and have not yet used a yeast starter. I want to start using this method but I have two problems- one is a suitable container to put a starter in. The other is that since I order all of my kits pre-packaged (I order kits from Homebrewer's Outpost) I always end up using all of the hops, malt, and grains for the batch. How can I get the small amount of ingredients needed for a yeast starter? I was thinking of buying an Erlenmeyer flask from HBO but I'm not sure what size (in ml) i need for a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks,
Rob

Well for just a basic starting out vessel you could use a 1/2 gallon growler or empty 1/2 gallon wine jug. If you go with an erlenmeyer the 2000ml is the most common used. An erlenmeyer is nicer for several reasons such as you can boil directly in the flask on the stove, then put the flask in an ice bath to cool it. Less transfers mean less chance to infect your yeast starter.

For the starter ingredients you just need to pick up some dry malt extract at any home brew store. Your starter would benefit from a bit of yeast nutrient as well, about 1/8 tsp. That's not an absolute requirement, but it makes for a healthier colony.

Back