Yeast Starter Time Crunch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sco999

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Brewers,
I just started using liquid yeast and starters on my last batch, so I am new to starters.

I am going to be brewing 11.5 gallons of my Centennial Rye IPA (1.064 OG) on Saturday night. My plan was to make a 4 quart starter this afternoon (thurs) with 2 smack packs of Wyeast 1450 crash cool the starter Friday night then decant before I pitch. Problem is my yeast wont be here until tomorrow afternoon (fri) and I really need to decant this starter before pitching. Is it possible to decant without crash cooling. I was really excited about trying this yeast, and don't really want to delay my brew date. Does anyone have any suggestions for my situation?

One more question.
I have the option of getting a yeast dump from the local brew pub's conical he uses wyeast 1056. Any idea how much volume I would need without needing a starter?

Thanks

In my experience with starters, that time frame will not be enough time to build up your yeast to the amount you need. Especially for an 11.5 gallon batch. Give your yeasties some time! According to the calculator linked below, you'll need 3L of starter (made with a stir plate). I don't know about you, but it takes me some time to build up that much!

Also, why do you HAVE to decant it? I'm curious.

And lastly, head over to Mr. Malty Pitching Rate Calculator for your last question. Select the "pitching from slurry" option.

You could get away with not decanting on an IPA. I always decant, but it's only gonna cause problem on a light beer (i.e., light lager, cream ale, etc).

If your starter doesn't finish before you brew, try a minute of O2 or at least some really good aeration for your wort. That will promote fast yeast growth, and lots of it.

Thanks for the reply. I want to decant because I don't feel comfortable having almost 10% of my beer coming from a weak dme wort (I don't have a stir plate). What if I split the batch? I know Mr Malty calls for 2.5billion, but do you think I could get away with 2 smack packs with no starter? Then I would use the 1056 slurry on the other half?

Thanks

You won't have time to decant- but you could very easily be pitching at "high krausen", which is an ideal time to pitch. If you're making a 4L starter, 2L could easily go into each 5.5 gallon fermenter (if you're using them) or the whole amount into the conical. I wouldn't worry about decanting at all.

I second the mrmalty.com pitching calculator for the repitching of the slurry. It works great, and you can use the correct amount of yeast.

Thanks for the reply. I want to decant because I don't feel comfortable having almost 10% of my beer coming from a weak dme wort (I don't have a stir plate). What if I split the batch? I know Mr Malty calls for 2.5billion, but do you think I could get away with 2 smack packs with no starter? Then I would use the 1056 slurry on the other half?

Thanks

Yeah, you could do that. I still think that under 10% of the wort in the starter is fine- you could even add a couple of hops to the starter if you want to make it more "beer like". 1 gallon of starter in an 11.5 gallon batch is negligible, especially for an IPA.

OOOOhhhh I've read about pitching at High Krausen. Yoop I have been lurking for a while, and if you are comfortable pitching that amount of starter without decanting then I am going for it.

I have a question about 1450.
The first time I made this beer I used US05 and mashed at 154 for 60 min. It finished at 1.014. My tasting thoughts were it needed just a little more mouthfeel & maltiness, and the hops didn't pop out at ya. IBU were 57 and I dry hopped with 4 oz of centennial for a week. From what I have read I think 1450 will bring this beer where I want it. Should I adjust mash temp for the 1450 batch?

Thanks So Much

I use the Wyeast 1450 as one of my house strains. I wouldn't adjust your mash temperatures. 1450 just gives a slightly larger amount of mouthfeel over US-05. I've had them finish around the same FG, but I haven't done a side by side for technical comparisons.

You should be just fine. Get the starter going, give it a shake everytime you walk by it until its time to pitch. I wouldnt worry about decanting. i have made 1.060 beers without a starter before and have hit my FG just fine.

I'm still extract brewing though so take this for what its worth.:mug:

Back