Yeast Starter Questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washington_Brewologist

THE PNW BIAB BrewOlogist
Reaction score
So I'm going on my tenth batch of homebrew and finally picked up all of the things needed to make a proper yeast starter. It's spinning away right behind me as we speak.

I think I might have made an error in calculating the size needed to fully ferment my beer. Beersmith is telling me I need around 222.9 billion cells (For a batch gravity of 1.058) and the starter I made will supposedly contain 306 billion cells.

If I pitched the whole starter would I be overpitching?
If so, How can I measure how much of the starter to pour?

You will be fine. Not impossible, but difficult to over pitch as a homebrewer. I routinely overbuild my starters to ensure good fermentation

You will be fine. Not impossible, but difficult to over pitch as a homebrewer. I routinely overbuild my starters to ensure good fermentation

Great to hear. Is there anything specific I should look for to indicate that the starter is done? Its been going strong for about 26 hours on the stir plate.

Great to hear. Is there anything specific I should look for to indicate that the starter is done? Its been going strong for about 26 hours on the stir plate.

You really just want to yeast to duplicate, and I believe 18-24hrs is the typical length of time for a starter. Thats how long I usually go anyways...

Latest posts

Back