Yeast starter question:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppo

Reaction score
OK, I've gone to the past threads on how to make a yeast starter. I'm clear on the how to make part. The part that hasn't been made to clear is when you pitch the starter do you pitch the whole thing or do you drain off the liquid and just pitch the sludge at the bottom?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!!

You can do either. If the starter is still working (not all fermented out), you should pitch the whole thing, since much of the yeast is suspended in the liquid. If it's a smaller starter, you can swirl and pitch the whole thing, too. If it's a large starter, or if it's for a lager, I'll stick it in the fridge when it's done. After the yeast is all settled to the bottom, I'll decant the spent wort. The reason is for a large starter, I don't want 2 liters of oxygenated hopless beer diluting my wort. For a small starter, it really doesn't matter.

I've been thinking about this a bit lately and here's my two cents:

It depends.

If you make a starter like you make your beer, in an airlocked container, you are essentially making a small batch of beer. I used to do this, pitching the entire starter into the unfermented wort. (There are recommendations of doing this when the starter is at high krauesen. Haven't seen any data as to whether this has demonstrated advantages.)

If you make a starter with oxygen exposure, for higher yeast propogation, either by oxygen additions, breathable container closures, stirplate etc., you are making oxidized beer, with less alcohol, but more yeast. In this case, I believe it makes sense to settle the yeast and decant off the "beer", in order to minimize the risk of adding any off flavors.

I've been thinking about this a bit lately and here's my two cents:

It depends.

If you make a starter like you make your beer, in an airlocked container, you are essentially making a small batch of beer. I used to do this, pitching the entire starter into the unfermented wort. (There are recommendations of doing this when the starter is at high krauesen. Haven't seen any data as to whether this has demonstrated advantages.)

If you make a starter with oxygen exposure, for higher yeast propogation, either by oxygen additions, breathable container closures, stirplate etc., you are making oxidized beer, with less alcohol, but more yeast. In this case, I believe it makes sense to settle the yeast and decant off the "beer", in order to minimize the risk of adding any off flavors.

When I do a starter, I use a 1L Ehrlenmeyer flask with an S-type airlock. I then agitate is often for the first 2-3 days. Then I pitch the entire thing into my wort. Is that considered an "airlocked container" or oxygen exposure (from the agitation) from your examples?

Maybe this is slightly off subject but the post about the starter in high krauesan got me thinking.
I've gone liquid using White Labs yeast and a starter kit from Midwest Supply. I follow their directions to the letter, temp, DME, nutrient etc but have never seen much if any krauesening. SHOULD I see krauesening in the starter???
I pitch 24 hours later as Midwest sez and have had so so success with my beer.
I welcome advice and again apologize for being off topic here. Cheers!

Maybe this is slightly off subject but the post about the starter in high krauesan got me thinking.
I've gone liquid using White Labs yeast and a starter kit from Midwest Supply. I follow their directions to the letter, temp, DME, nutrient etc but have never seen much if any krauesening. SHOULD I see krauesening in the starter???
I pitch 24 hours later as Midwest sez and have had so so success with my beer.
I welcome advice and again apologize for being off topic here. Cheers!

I just got my starter kit yesterday from midwest also. I don't have the instructions available here now, but I am sure that I read that you will not see a large krauesen in the starter. If you have the instruction sheet handy, look to see if they make that statement. I will check mine later tonight.

I just got my starter kit yesterday from midwest also. I don't have the instructions available here now, but I am sure that I read that you will not see a large krauesen in the starter. If you have the instruction sheet handy, look to see if they make that statement. I will check mine later tonight.

I just checked my instructions and I bought mine from Austin HS not Midwest..whups..and their directions do not say anything about the krauesen, they just say to watch for sings of fermentation, bubbling in the air lock. They say the proceedure will take from 12 to 18 hours.

I use White Labs yeast and the starter kit from Midwest (for my last 2 batches). I let the starter sit for 2-3 days, shaking often (to reaerate). When I pitched it, fermentation started pretty quickly.

Back