Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsmith12

Reaction score
Okay so I used 2L of water which I brought to a boil, then added a little less than 1 cup of Briess Golden Light DME. My problem is, I checked the SG level and it's 1.020, way less than I thought it was supposed to be. This is my first real yeast starter so I don't want to mess it up either.

Is it okay if I pitch my yeast in this starter, or should I just suck it up and do it over till I get a higher gravity reading. I'm planning on brewing a Westy 12 clone, which has a very high OG of 1.097. I'm pitching 2 vials of White Labs 530.

So my question is, will this starter work, or is my SG to low? Thanks!

If you have more dme and you havent yet pitched the yeast you could reboil and add the dme to bring it to the 1.040 arena. Or just pitch the yeast. It won't hurt it, it just won't be the most efficient starter. The general rule is 100g dme to every 1L water. Weighing is much more accurate than measuring volume for dme.

You won't get much growth with that gravity for a starter. For a high gravity brew, a good starter is extremely important. Personally, I would invest in a scale and remake the starter using the weight to volume measurement.

That sounds good barrooze man. After I read your post I just decided to pitch the yeast at 1.020. Thanks for the help an reassurance.

Back