Yeast starter....problem??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flic

Reaction score
So I was planning to make my biggest AG beer to date this weekend....a Russian Imperial Stout at 1.094 OG. I figured this would be a good opportunity to try my first yeast starter as well. I generally use Wyeast Activator packs so I figured I would buy 2 London Ale III 1348 for this brew and do a starter. So I put the starter together last evening using 4.5oz of Light DME and boiled in 1300ml of water for 15 min. I cooled this down to 70 and added my 2 packets of yeast. I used the Mr. Malty pitching calculator to calculate the numbers. I noticed that packs hardly swelled at all and they had been sitting out for 5 hours so this was a little concerning as usually they are fully swelled in that time frame in past cases. So here I am about 14 hours after pitching and there is zero activity. I have read of giving it about 18-24 hours before pitching. I assumed it would start fermenting quicker due to the small quantity of wort but maybe I'm wrong. I have been shaking/swirling every so often and I did shake it very well before adding the yeast. I can delay the brew until tomorrow but I'm concerned at this point. The yeast date was June 23rd. Any thoughts??

Of over a dozen starters with tubes, smakc packs or bottle harvesting, I have ever only seen one Krauzen or "activity ring"

Just like in the fermenter, fermentation isn't always dynamic...It doesn't matter one blip in your fermenter or your starter flask if the airlock bubbles or not (if you are using an airlock and not tinfoil,) or if you see a krauzen.

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

If you wanna read my take on how I think the idea of "bad yeast" is really a rarity and we need to relax more and learn to trust them, look here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1513865-post10.html

Do you have any sediment? Since you had two packs of yeast in one volume of starter, I am betting your starter fermented fast and is actually already to go! :mug:

Interesting, I guess I could take a gravity reading and verify? I did not take initially but went with the suggested amounts to get about a 1.04 OG. I figured I would see obvious fermentation, of course that may have happened while I was sleeping! I immediately swirled it when I awoke this morning and I did not notice a band of yeast but I will let it settle for a bit here and check. If I in fact do have settled yeast and I am going to brew tomorrow, should I just put it in the fridge? I had planned to dump the entire flask in the wort but maybe I should decant? Thanks for the quick response!!

EDIT: I just took a gravity reading and it is 1.036 so it appears nothing has happened.....

Healthy yeast will usually take off in my starters within 12 hours. The only one that was completely dead was a tube of WLP023 Burton Ale that was 15 months past its date. Interestingly, WLP838 Southern German Lager of the same date worked out just fine. A few months past your date should be fine, maybe a slightly longer lag time like you are experiencing, unless the yeast has been temperature abused -- frozen at some point, warmed up for extended period of time such as during transit. I'd be willing to bet it fires up sometime tonight. Keep shaking.

As others have said, my vote is to continue swirling the contents of the flask, and leave it at room temp for another day. Check the gravity again and hope there is a significant change. If it's still at 1.036 tomorrow, then I'd start thinking about remaking the starter with fresh yeast. Hopefully you're just having a long lag time and it will take of like it should before long. *fingers crossed*

Good luck!

I just checked it at about the 36 hour mark and it has definitely started to ferment but it has not attenuated much as I'm at a 1.031 down from 1.036. Definitely looks little different with more sediment on the bottom. It was fizzy when I took a reading from some carbonation. I decided to just use this as an experiment and will see how it goes over the next day or so. I've postponed my brew until next weekend as fresh yeast will be here in a few days and I'll likely give it another try.....or just use multiple Wyeast packages. I guess I'll have to plan these further ahead of time and then store it in the fridge until I'm ready. Thanks everyone for the help!

Back