Yeast starter gravityM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
Just followed John Palmer’s directions for making a yeast starter. Boiled 115g dme in 1 liter of water for 15 minutes. My gravity is 1.050. Is this ok to pitch? Or do I need to start over?
I know most aim for 1.040. Is that preboil or post?
Witbier wlp400 estimated starting gravity will be around 1.050. If that matters.

I read his directions again. I was only supposed to boil for 10 minutes. I guess the extra five minutes boiled off a little too much water and raised my gravity. Oh well. I am going to start a new starter. And drink some beer.

I I’ll be attempting my first Starter tomorrow morning. Never gave it thought of checking gravity

Not understanding the boil times here, you're not actually trying to make "beer" with all that entails that actually requires time (like, hop isomerization).

All you're trying to do is pasteurize the starter, and one minute of boiling will do that and not concentrate the wort by much.
That's all I've ever done...

Cheers!

If the gravity is too high, you don't need to start all over, just boil a little bit of water and dilute your starter.
Total volume(diluted starter) = [gravitypoints(original starter)*V(original starter)]/gravitypoints(diluted starter). So if you wan't it to go down to 1.040, add boiled water to reach volume V = (50*original volume) / 40.

Suggested 1.040 is, of course, post boil gravity. Because we are preparing the wort for yeast and they'll never meet the unboiled starter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back