Yeast Starter from Harvest thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in:
I harvested yeast and created a starter using 1/2 Gal jar, 1.5qt H20 15 min boil with 3 oz of DME Cool to Room Temp, Pitched washed Yeast,and this(pics) is 19 hours later. I was thinking this should be enough for a brew today...? Thoughts?
I checked a yeast calc using 1060 OG for a parameter, but the volume question is a bit vague over there. I used about what looked like a solid Tbsp+ of washed yeast (what is white and settled 24 hrs later) along with the steps above.

Last question in pic 3. that is "sleeping Yeast" at the bottom not Trub? This was washed.

Attachments

• Starter 1.JPG
    Starter 1.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 88
  • starter 2.JPG
    starter 2.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Starter 3.JPG
    Starter 3.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 94
If you aerate the wort well you should have plenty of yeast in your starter as the yeast will continue to propagate in the wort which will build even higher numbers of yeast cells.

Thanks amigo, I woke up this morning to great Head only after 12 hours from Pitch. chuggin away and a good head of Krausen.

Thanks amigo, I woke up this morning to great Head only after 12 hours from Pitch. chuggin away and a good head of Krausen.

That's always a good sign that you pitched a very healthy starter. I love to pitch as I leave for work, and when I arrive home 11-12 hours later I am greeted with a vigorous krausen!

Yes sir, great to hear the bubbler bubblin. I had to change the Bubbler out for a 1.5" Blow off tube. The yeast is a North Pacific Ale Omega, it did the same when I pitched the packet the first time. Looks strong, in 6 weeks I'll know if the flavor is worth keeping for Stouts and Porters. Next is an IPA with dry yeast 05 Munton' or whatever it is.

Back