Yeast starter did not start, ok to reboil, pitch fresher yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikaS

Reaction score
I made a starter with some ANCIENT Wyeast 1056 that I pitched 48 hours ago. So far it seems to be dead.

So..... can I re-boil this wort and pitch fresh yeast? I only ask because of course I'm out of DME and was planning to brew this weekend.

TIA!

Define ancient. Please.

an·cient1
ˈān(t)SHənt/
adjective
belonging to the very distant past and no longer in existence. :mug:

Sorry, couldn't resist. This yeast was about 2 years old, forgotten in the back of my fridge. I figured it was worth a shot. It has been about 50 hours since I pitched the yeast.

@Pkrd - I hear you on that, but I can't believe anything could have happened with no signs of life at all (I have an airlock on the flask). No bubbles, nothing.

Last edited:
You can, the dead yeast would act as nutrient for the fresh. However there may still be something alive in there but would likely take a long time to build up to any significant numbers.

You can, the dead yeast would act as nutrient for the fresh. However there may still be something alive in there but would likely take a long time to build up to any significant numbers.

I'm beginning to see some life but it's pretty sparse. I'm also noticing an off-putting odor - almost vinegar-like (it is faint). So I think it's time to dump this mess down the drain and pretend it never happened.

Thanks everyone for your input!

That might be bacteria, etc. from the air settling in rather than the old yeast. Starting over sounds like the way to go.

I save lots of yeast in my fridge but have learned to smell and taste the 'beer' before doing a starter. Normally, I go 8 months and not longer (usually a lot less) but recently I was making a starter with 4 month old yeast (not washed yeast but I over grow and save yeast for future brews) and I noticed a slight vinegar smell so I tasted it and sure enough, it was not what it was supposed to be. Prolly would have grown just fine but not something I want in my beer.
To me, it's not worth the time and expense of brewing with any yeast that old. It's just a few $$$ for yeast and worth it IMO.

Boil the old starter you made, and the yeast cells will burst, releasing all sorts of vitamins for the new yeast, making your new starter yeast very happy. I always add a sachet of Fleischmannn's bread yeast to my starter wort/gyle.

Back