Yeast Starter / 11 gal batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awvyen

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be brewing an 11 gallon batch of 1.055 pale ale tomorrow. I am currently working on my yeast starter and have a few questions, anyone's input is greatly appreciated!

So last night I created my yeast started with about a pint of slurry harvested from another pale ale from 12/19/14 into into about 2 litres of water to 1 cup of DME. I had that on a stir plate for about 12 hours, then cold crashed it and was left with image of bigger flask. I decanted the middle level which I'm hoping was trub and left the, what I hope was the yeast cake on the bottom. I was left with 250 ml the smaller flask

So the question is what do I do now? Should i just pitch this or step it up again? I'm not sure how to use Mr. Malty because I don't know what to call this, "yeast" or "slurry" and what is my harvest date, today or still 12/19/14?

securedownload.jpg

Back