Yeast - Recycling for nutrition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaximumTrainer

Reaction score
I am making my first beer at the moment. I heard good stuff about beer yeast, for example, it would be good for the general health and immune system.
http://superhumancoach.com/pros-and-cons-of-brewers-yeast/
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-brewers-yeast-5425.html

I'm wondering if someone tried to use the remaining bed in the primary vessel for cooking or just directly eating it. I would be happy to find another use and not trow this in the garbage.
Thanks!

I would advise against simply eating it unless you desire a powerful laxative effect.

The brewer's yeast those articles are referring to is a product akin to Vegemite. It's brewer's yeast that has been processed and made fit for direct consumption. Consuming a significant amount of raw yeast slurry could cause gas pains or cramps; diarrhea is almost a certainty.

I prefer to drink it in the form of whatever is in the bottom of my bottle or glass. What's left in the bucket goes bye-bye.

Vegemite is essentially used brewers yeast.

I've only tasted it once, when I was in my early 20s, I don't say this about many foods, but I hope to never taste it again.

Vegemite is essentially used brewers yeast.

I've only tasted it once, when I was in my early 20s, I don't say this about many foods, but I hope to never taste it again.

Haha I see, Well I guess I will try it just for the fun of it!

Most of the "brewer's yeast" or "nutritional yeast" sold today, even the yeast in Marmite and Vegemite, is made from fermenting molasses. But in the old days, spent brewing yeast was separated from hop particles and break material, then dehydrated and roasted. Filtered, dehydrated and roasted spent yeast doesn't have a whole lot of resemblance to the yeast cake from your primary.

Latest posts

Back