Yeast recovery from slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimrising

Reaction score
So I racked a holiday ale into secondary today, and decided to save my yeast cake in a mason jar out of the primary. I just filtered the cake through a strainer to keep out the add-ins (orange peel mostly) I am planning on brewing another batch of the same brew. My question was, can I use the same yeast in another different brew? It was a California V yeast from White Labs. What do I need to look out for? Should I have some other fresh yeast on hand in case it doesn't start?

Yes, you can use it in different brews, look up yeast harvesting. If you're brewing right away just pitch it in your fresh wort. If you've stored it in the fridge for awhile, the yeast will go dormant, so I recommended making a little starter just to get it woken up.

You really shouldn't have any issues, especially if you make a starter. Having packs of dry yeast on hand is always a good idea though.

Yes, you can use it in different brews, look up yeast harvesting. If you're brewing right away just pitch it in your fresh wort. If you've stored it in the fridge for awhile, the yeast will go dormant, so I recommended making a little starter just to get it woken up.

You really shouldn't have any issues, especially if you make a starter. Having packs of dry yeast on hand is always a good idea though.

I assume because you are pitching a very small amount compared to the 5 gallons of wort, there flavor from the previous batch won't impact the new batch? For instance, if you use oranges in a Belgian wit and then re-use that yeast in a regular wit, the orange flavor won't come over into the new beer. That might be a bad example but you know what I mean. Or maybe coffee flavor from a coffee stout into a dry stout batch.

This is a good video that takes you through the process pretty easily [ame="http://youtu.be/Ff3s6GiS2fo"]http://youtu.be/Ff3s6GiS2fo[/ame]

Drugstores carry glycerine. If you're looking in the yeast freeze thread though I have a vague recollection (been years since I read the thread) of the thread mentioning what type or what percentage of glycerine in solution or some specifics about the glycerine. I think...like I said it's been awhile.

You know you don't have to freeze the yeast, right? A lot of us just do the store the mason jars in the fridge thing.

Back