Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likwidbliss

Reaction score
My wife wants me to brew a Blue Moon Belgian Wheat Ale. The recipes gives me options for yeast White Labs Belgian Wit Ale WLP400 or safbrew T-58 dry. Saving a few extra $$ is the reason. If there is a noticeable difference in the finished beer then I'll buy liquid yeast.

I want to buy two beer kits, just being stingy.

BTW this is a great site, I love making beer and wine.

:mug:

I'm a big fan of Fermentis dry yeasts, but if you want it as close to the original as possible I really think the WLP400 is what you should use.

I'm a big fan of Fermentis dry yeasts, but if you want it as close to the original as possible I really think the WLP400 is what you should use.

+1. The dry yeast will work fine, but I find that belgian clone's really need a belgian liquid yeast to clone properly. You will still have a very enjoyable beer without it, just not as close.

Depending on how much you brew, and how often you brew belgians, take a look at the yeast washing sticky in Techniques. That one smack pack could last you many a brew.

Are you from HAMLIN , NY? Really?!? I am originally from Hilton. Grad from HHS 1989.

I also would recommend the WP400 for this. You could easily wash the yeast from the first batch to use on the second batch. This would add value to you liquid yeast purchase.

Are you using a kit or do you have a recipe? This is will be my next brew also.

Let us know how it comes out!

Good luck.

I bought the AHS clone and used wyeast, the smell it was giving while brewing and fermenting I just wanted to open the bucket and try it but I have to be patient for another 3 more weeks. At least I have my hefe to drink

Kayabrew,

I went to Hilton 79-85. Grad Brockport 1989. I choose dry yeast. Next time liquid. Thanks

Back