004 next gen yeast 70ml packets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggray87

Reaction score
Brewersfriend yeast starter site is easy with imperial yeast. These new 004 next gen 70ml packets by white labs is confusing the next outta me. It has an option on website for 100bill or 200bill packets. What are these packets ? Also looking up QC. Is the manufacture date the same date as QC.

Trying to see what I need for the Irish red at 1.056. And my 004 next gen package
PXL_20231106_051938750.jpg

Last edited:
New White Lab packs are basically 150 billion cells. If you look at the QC report under cell count...2.15B cells per ML x 70 ml =150.5 Billion cells at optimal conditions. When using Brewer's Friend yeast calculator, I put in 1.5 packs of 100B yeast packs to get to the 150B number.

New White Lab packs are basically 150 billion cells. If you look at the QC report under cell count...2.15B cells per ML x 70 ml =150.5 Billion cells at optimal conditions. When using Brewer's Friend yeast calculator, I put in 1.5 packs of 100B yeast packs to get to the 150B number.
Oh ok 1.5. I didn't think of that. I'll start doing that. Also do most people use the pro .075 setting or the high gravity or the manufacturer options. I figured It wouldn't hurt to use standard ale pro options

Oh ok 1.5. I didn't think of that. I'll start doing that. Also do most people use the pro .075 setting or the high gravity or the manufacturer options. I figured It wouldn't hurt to use standard ale pro options
For ales below 1.060, I usually use the 1.0 pro brewer rate, above that the 1.25. For lagers, I always target between 1.5-2.0 rate, as I like to pitch large and ferment cold, usually around 48F, so you need to pitch higher to do that. I'm sure you will be fine with 0.75 rate for ales, I am just a stickler for pitch counts and shorter lag times.

For ales below 1.060, I usually use the 1.0 pro brewer rate, above that the 1.25. For lagers, I always target between 1.5-2.0 rate, as I like to pitch large and ferment cold, usually around 48F, so you need to pitch higher to do that. I'm sure you will be fine with 0.75 rate for ales, I am just a stickler for pitch counts and shorter lag times.
This may be a dumb question but can u over pitch or to much yeast? What happens?

This may be a dumb question but can u over pitch or to much yeast? What happens?
You definitely can, but overpitching is usually more forgiving then underpitching. Overpitching can lead to the beer fermenting too fast, a thinner body and in some cases a lack of ester production, for example, overpitching a Hefeweizen you will not get the clove/banana esters you want, in fact a Hefe is one style that underpitching is recommended as the stress on yeast helps create the esters.

It is important to have a conscious plan for everything you put in a beer recipe, and I think the same is true for process.

Everyone will figure out their personal borderline between process that gives best results vs being too burdensome. For me, starters are a pain (extra time planning in advance), but I don't mind adding oxygen. If I'm fermenting cold, I hate the idea of 2 packs of yeast more than a starter, so I'll do a starter in that case.

Getting to my point... I made a Dusseldorf Alt recipe years ago, and nailed it right out of the gate. First batch tasted exactly like I wanted. I need it again a year later, and was disappointed. I then went on a journey of trying to get back to that first result. I undid a lot of process changes I had incorporated since that brew, but couldn't quite get there. Then I realized back then I was not doing a starter, even though I was fermenting cold. And I was not arguing oxygen. Flipped those two processes back, and bam. There was the flavor.

Now when I make that recipe, I pitch a single pouch of Wyeast 1007, try to get a packet that's an older date if possible, no oxygen, no starter. And it gives whatever character tweak was missing with my "improved processes".

Back