Any Special Care for Yeast When Transferring Cloudy Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to keg a wheat beer which is more like a wit than anything else. I just started thinking about what will happen to the yeast during the transfer.

So we transfer to get beer off of trub. On the other hand, there is a lot of yeast in trub, and we want yeast in cloudy wheat beers. So is this something to consider when kegging, or do I just do what I always do, counting on whatever yeast is suspended in the beer to do the job?

If I rouse the yeast in the fermenter, I'll also be rousing hop particles I don't want in the finished beer, and it also makes me wonder why I wouldn't just serve from the fermenter if holding onto some of the precipitated yeast was a good idea.

In my case, I can't serve from the fermenter because I use fat 6-gallon kegs that won't go in the keezer, but I could get a tall 6-gallon Torpedo just for wheat. I don't know how long it takes for trub to ruin beer, though.

On my next batch, I plan to take a suggestion offered here. Someone said dumping a tablespoon of flour in the boil would preserve the cloudiness.

Keg it and drink up like you do any other beer. The cloudiness that it should retain it will retain. Wheats are made to be consumed early and can be good in the keg for weeks, so keg, drink, enjoy, and stop sweating it. :ban:

Latest posts

Back