Yeast or mould??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie rich

Reaction score
Hi guys, I wounder if you could help me. I've seen a few people ask this question and I've also looked at pictures but I'm not certain what this is? Yeast or mould Have you guys got any advice what I should do?

Attachments

• IMG-20230128-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230128-WA0001.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
Nothing to worry about here. Even if there was, it's too late. And even then there is a slight chance an infected beer might still taste good. Infection does not mean poisonous.

If that's the in your FV, then close the lid and then look again in two to three weeks.

Yeast and all sorts of crud might be on the top of your beer during the early days of fermentation and even for weeks after depending on the recipe and strain of yeast.

Looks from the distant and above pic like yeast rafts and perfectly normal to me.... is that an opaque or transparent fermenter?
A closer pic might be helpful, but really; it's likely OK and taking off the lid to look is probably the leading cause of infection.

T
Nothing to worry about here. Even if there was, it's too late. And even then there is a slight chance an infected beer might still taste good. Infection does not mean poisonous.

If that's the in your FV, then close the lid and then look again in two to three weeks.

Yeast and all sorts of crud might be on the top of your beer during the early days of fermentation and even for weeks after depending on the recipe and strain of yeast.
Thank you so much👍

Looks from the distant and above pic like yeast rafts and perfectly normal to me.... is that an opaque or transparent fermenter?
A closer pic might be helpful, but really; it's likely OK and taking off the lid to look is probably the leading cause of infection.
It's an opaque fermenter. I didn't realise taking off the lid was a problem 🤦. Thank you so much for your advice 👍

I didn't realise taking off the lid was a problem
You don't want to let air back in the fermenter after it's been driven off by the CO2 created by the yeast. The more hoppy the beer, the more O2 will be an issue for you beer. It creates an oxidation of the hop compounds or something. Some detect this as a cardboard taste with little hop flavor. And I think darkening of the beer too.

It's seems that it's more of a problem for those that do really hoppy beers and especially dry hopped beers.

But you should be concerned too. Keep the lid on! Though I've never used a bucket FV. I'd have a hard time not peeking myself. I always used clear fermenters for my first two years of brewing.

Back