Yeast not finishing in multiple batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_one_seven

Reaction score
Ok guys. 3rd batch in a row that my gravities are all finishing in the 1.040 range. Yeasts US05 (Double IPA SG 1.085 Ferment @ 65F), WPL007 - double starter (RIS SG 1.095 ferment @ 68F), and Wyeast Belgian high gravity yeast (Belgian Triple SG 1.090 ferment @ 63F). Starters used on the 2 liquid yeasts and the US05 was rehydrated with slightly warm sanitized water.

Fermentation done in a SS brew tech chronicle with fermentation control. Using a ATC refractometer calibrated with distilled water. All beers taste good but too sweet. I have roused yeast on the last two batches and raised ferment temps. I am at a loss except that my refractometer is junk, but the beers are sweet so I don't think that the case. Any advice?

Brian

Throw out the refractometer reading, and run a grab a hydrometer reading. This is extremely important!!!!!!

Or, use a refractometer correction formula (even though I've never found on that is truly accurate) found here: http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/ and see what the probable FG probably is close to.

Thanks Yooper, that was my next step but I was wondering if I was missing something. I guess my palate is tasting sweet because my brain is telling it that it should be. I will do that.

Brian

Have you checked your gravitates w/ a hydrometer? A refractometer is not ideal after fermentation is under way.
Also, at what temp(s) did you pitch & what ferm temps did you maintain?

Pitched at Fermentation temps and maintained within 1 degree. SS Brewtech Chronical fermentation control system rocks.

I used the conversion that Yopper posted it came out to 1.015 which would be much more in line with what I expected. Gonna go back to the hydrometer, I took a couple of years off and got stupid….haha. I am going to re invest in a nice hydrometer.

Brian

Back