Yeast Issues - How Long Can I Wait to Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar440_6

Reaction score
So, I started my first batch of cider last night and my yeast starter seems to be dead. I've got 6g of unpasteurized cider that was pressed on 12/7. I sulfited on 12/10 and will be adding pectic enzyme 24h after sulfites. The earliest I can get a fresh pack of yeast will be 48h after pulling the cider out of the fridge and sulfiting. Will it ruin the batch to wait that long to pitch if the starter doesn't take off?

I haven't fermented cider (since I was a child)
I often wait overnight to pitch yeast. That has no ill effects. If your cider is sealed in a sanitized container, I think you'll be fine.

Awesome. Thanks for the reassurance. Everything is well sanitized. Its been about 24h and I just mixed in the pectic enzyme. Luckily the starter is showing some growth so I'll just let that keep going and pitch tomorrow after work.

Gunhaus, I was under the impression that oxidation was a bad thing? Or are you referring to dissolving oxygen for the yeast to munch on?

Just finished pitching the starter. It took off nicely in the last 12 hours or so. Hopefully the cider does as well. The cider still had a vague sulfur smell even ~42h after sulfiting so here's to hoping the sulfites dissipated enough not to harm the yeast.

So after a 48h lag the cider is really chugging along. I added 1tsp of Fermaid K before pitching but I'm still getting a pretty strong sulfur smell. Should I add more nutrient or RDWAHAHB?

from what I've read, and the batches of apple wine and cider I have going atm. some yeasts create more Sulphur smell than others. and it's very common in the primary of ciders. I've seen the question in almost every "first cider" post. stir/shake it every day, twice a day if possible to degas it and the smell should dissipate by secondary.

Back