Yeast gone bad???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slippery

Reaction score
I have a question/concern that am hoping someone in this beautiful database can help me figure out. I've brewed about 12 or so batches in the last year, mostly extract with a few PM batches thrown in . Since then I've switched to AG but only have 1 batch under my belt so far but am preparing my starter for batch 2 this weekend. That's where the concern came up . Out of my previous 12 batches I have had a few of them not turn out very well. It's hard to pin point exactly what's going on with them but they just have had an off flavor. Bad enough to make me dump it ... The flavor is tough to describe but it kinda plasticey, band aidish I guess. Anyway, I thought I had it pegged to my water because it seem to be more of a problem with my PM batches until recently. 2 days ago I opened a jar of yeast that I washed and saved almost a year ago. I had propagated the Yeast from a commercial beer and had used it last year with great success . It was stored in boiled /cooled water in a sterile jar. When I opened the jar it had the exact smell that the bad batches of beer that I have brewed in the past had ?? This yeast was saved from a starter and never actually in a batch off beer so now am wondering if I have been getting yeast problems that have been causing this off flavor in my beer......the yeast has been on the stir plate for two days and is kicking it but am worried about pitching it concerned that it will just contaminate my next batch with this off flavor.
Sorry for the long winded question , am just stumped with this and know that you guys can help me figure this out.
Any feedback would be great
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Year old yeast is unlikely to make good beer, maybe a few weeks old. Sounds to me like your water has chlorine / chlorphenols in it.

Back