Yeast genetics article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmcchord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's an article my wife found. Pretty interesting story about yeast genetics and DNA sequencing of brewing yeast. It stated in the article that GMO yeast strains are not currently viable due to consumer disdain for anything genetically modified. Made me wonder what the potential is for increasingly interesting and unique yeast strains in the not so distant future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/science/craft-beer-at-the-genetic-level.html?_r=1

Enjoy. :mug:

I also read this, very interesting as I'm a Geneticist. I'm looking forward to that publication I'd love to see what the relationships are between all of the yeast strains.

I really did not like the statement about GMO yeast not taking off because of the distain from the general public. I think thats got to be false, I'd be happy to have a GMO yeast that produced desirable characteristics both in my brew house and in any of my favorite brewery's beers.

I really did not like the statement about GMO yeast not taking off because of the distain from the general public. I think thats got to be false, I'd be happy to have a GMO yeast that produced desirable characteristics both in my brew house and in any of my favorite brewery's beers.

Consider the intelligence of the average American. Then ponder that half the population is dumber than that.

AJ, you just paraphrased my favorite George Carlin saying!

Just like the rest of the American public, I consider myself far above average.

Anyway thanks for the link I will read that article!

Back