Old yeast ressurrection - what to do with mixed cultures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guiocm

Reaction score
Hello all!

I've been away from homebrewing since 2015, and have recently started again. I had some yeast strains from that time stored in the refrigerator, and some of them are not available anymore where I live (we aren't finding White Labs / Wyeast products in Brazil currently), so I tried some ressurrection magic and lo and behold, it worked!

These yeast were stored in the refrigerator for the whole time, but I moved house a couple of times, so there were some short periods of warming. I've brought back WLP007, WLP099, WLP510, WLP644, WLP650 and WLP653. Some of them were from starters I had stored in vials, others from their original vials.

I've tested actual beer fermentations with 644 and 510 so far, with good results. They don't seem to have been contaminated or drifted genetically in a significant way.

I also tried (first time ever, so bear in mind my methods need improvement) a cell count through serial dilution / plating for 644. It seems it had a viable cell density in the order of 10^5 per mL. I still have a few mLs left from some of them, and intend to try the cell counting again with other strains.

My method for propagation was to start with 200-400mL of 1.020 wort, step up with 1.030, decant and then do a larger step with 1.040 wort. All wort was pressure sterilized.

I also have some Lactobacillus vials from White Labs, and didn't seem to be able to bring them back to life. I couldn't find much information on this specifically (cultures stored for a long time), but from what I gathered, it seems that lacto is not as tolerant as yeast in this sense. So it might be that they're beyond help. Any information in this is much appreciated, though.

I didn't find a lot of information on culturing yeast that old, and I know it's not ideal, but for some of us it might be the difference between having and not having access to a certain strain. Plus it might be interesting information on yeast viability decreases, and what's possible to "get away with" in terms of neglect. Would be interested in discussing this further with people who have done similar experiments!

And now for the actual questions: I also have a White Labs Flemish Red blend, in an unopened vial, from 2015, and a couple of Wyeast Lambic blend smack packs, from 2014. I was thinking about using them in some brews, along with a healthy pitch of yeast. From my attempts at ressurrecting lacto, I belive it would be better to pitch some extra of it. But I was wondering about the Pediococcus. Is it likely there's some still alive there, or would it be better to pitch extra (and if so, will the original blends actually be contributing much, aside from brett?).

Cheers o/

Pedio is like cockroaches. It could survive 100years and a nuclear holocaust and still come out like it's a fresh spring morning. I've cultured bottle dregs from about the same age as your smack packs and had pedio in all of them, so I think you'll be OK, but you can never be certain. IME pedio outlasts Brett - I'd be more concerned about having live Brett in there. I personally wouldn't worry about Lacto for a hopped brew - it probably isn't doing much anyway. I'd pitch the blends along with some primary yeast (Saccharomyces).

Hah, that's great! Thanks for the input. I'm wondering if a small starter could do some good to whatever's left alive in the blends, though.

I had success culturing brett from a bottle of Ron and the beast Ryan with a best by date in 2015. It took a couple of weeks to show any signs, but became a very nice and strong colony later on. So I'm not extremely worried with not having any brett alive. But I can supplement with other colonies if no brett signs show up after a few months...

Would be interested in discussing this further with people who have done similar experiments!

i heard you can freeze yeast if it's in glycol? if i was worried about contamination, i'd inoculate a petri dish, or few with HEPA filter air...let it grow out and isolate....laminar flow hoods aren't cheap, but sometimes you can pick them up cheap and rig something up....

just tossing a couple ideas out....

i heard you can freeze yeast if it's in glycol? if i was worried about contamination, i'd inoculate a petri dish, or few with HEPA filter air...let it grow out and isolate....laminar flow hoods aren't cheap, but sometimes you can pick them up cheap and rig something up....

just tossing a couple ideas out....

I'm trying out freezer storage now. Will pull some samples in a month or so to check viability, but it seems like a decently reliable way to maintain the cultures...

I'd love to get a laminar flow hood. I'm trying my hand with mushroom cultivation as well, so it'd be useful for both things. For now I'm trying the cheap end of aseptic technique (still air box, etc). Not perfect but should give me some decent results.

I'm considering a microscope as well, to allow for some identification, and cell counting. Not cheap as well, but lighter on the pocket than the flow hood...

Not cheap as well, but lighter on the pocket than the flow hood...
i grow mushrooms, as well. i ended scoring 2 6x6x8" D.O.E. HEPAs, and a free blower. cut some arm holes in a storage tote, and another for the hepa.

it works great, a lot easier with massive positive pressure! just wear my kitchen gloves and spray it down with bleach water and keep a bucket of bleach water to dip my gloved hands in before inserting them into the box to handle stuff....

here's what i created...but out a card board box to fit the fan on to the HEPA.....would work great for cleaning yeast, few years back i cleaned up some old Koji spores with it....but here in S.AZ, mushrooms don't like the weather :(

hepabox.jpg

i still got the otherone, and probably never use it. i think i spent ~$30 shipped, many moons ago on them both?

Back