Yeast for DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopowers

Gearhead who likes beer
Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a super dry, clean very hoppy DIPA and am trying to figure out a good yeast to use that will not impart any additional flavor and accentuate the hoppyness in the beer. Something that has very high attenuation as well.

Can you guys recommend a good yeast for this purpose? I'm new-ish to brewing and just starting to learn about the different strains of yeast. Would WLP090- San Diego Super Yeast be a good choice? Maybe good ol' WLP001 will suffice?

Thank you!

I was going to mention WY1272, it's good up till 10%, and gives a little tartness. I think it enhances citrusy hops characteristics most. Aside from a souped up 2-Hearted clone, I've done some NEIPAs with it, and was happy with the flavor profile, kinda bright.

I'm looking at brewing a hoppy double IPA myself soon, so I'm all ears.

My first instinct was WLP001 helped out with amylase enzyme to get it to attenuate high and finish on the dry side... some sugar in there too... leave lots of headspace though and make sure you have a blowoff tube!

Pretty sure it’s not currently in production, but imperial corporate is the best west coast ipa yeast I’ve ever used. Perfect for a DIPA

super dry,

not impart any additional flavor

accentuate the hoppyness in the beer

very high attenuation as well.

You just listed many of the reasons brewers choose WLP001/WY1056/Imperial Flagship.

Can you guys recommend a good yeast for this purpose?

Yep.

Maybe good ol' WLP001 will suffice?

Also yep!

Many brewers want a yeast that brings something extra to the beer, but WLP001/WY1056/Imperial Flagship lets the hops and ingredients shine through, attenuates very well, and verges on foolproof. It works across a broad temperature range, doesn't give up during temp fluctuations, and gives you a lot of leeway before producing big off-flavors. Nothing against any of the other very interesting yeasts that have been mentioned, but you basically wrote the product description for WLP001/WY1056/IOYA07.

You just listed many of the reasons brewers choose WLP001/WY1056/Imperial Flagship.

Yep.

Also yep!

Many brewers want a yeast that brings something extra to the beer, but WLP001/WY1056/Imperial Flagship lets the hops and ingredients shine through, attenuates very well, and verges on foolproof. It works across a broad temperature range, doesn't give up during temp fluctuations, and gives you a lot of leeway before producing big off-flavors. Nothing against any of the other very interesting yeasts that have been mentioned, but you basically wrote the product description for WLP001/WY1056/IOYA07.
Holy hell Batman, tht must have taken forever to write with all the quotes

Last edited:
My first instinct was WLP001 helped out with amylase enzyme to get it to attenuate high and finish on the dry side... some sugar in there too... leave lots of headspace though and make sure you have a blowoff tube!

You don’t need the enzymes to get Cal ale to attenuate. If you use a Lb of sugar in 5 gallons it’ll get right down to 2-2.5 Plato. Doubt you’d want lower than that.

I’ve started using it more and more after pretty much using some sort of English ale yeast for say the last 100 or so batches of hoppy beer. I must say I do really enjoy how it totally gets out of the way and lets the ingredients shine. I will definitely be using it a lot more going forward.

Blending yeasts is a great option and can add some cool complexity to the beer. There’s tons of rather famous beers that are made with multiple strains of yeast in primary. I wouldn’t necessarily do it for a WC style IPA but you never know.

I personally didn’t like Imperial A30 that much. It’s a slow moving yeast and it spit out some higher alcohols at elevated wort gravity for me. It also needs a really long diacetyl rest IMHO.

Last edited:
I've never heard of using more than one yeast. What is the point?

Blending yeasts is a great option and can add some cool complexity to the beer. There’s tons of rather famous beers that are made with multiple strains of yeast in primary. I wouldn’t necessarily do it for a WC style IPA but you never know.

@couchsending nailed it. I believe that 001/1056/US-05 will give you what you are looking for, but if it doesn't reach a terminal gravity you are happy with you could always add something to finish drying the beer out.

I'm planning to brew a super dry, clean very hoppy DIPA and am trying to figure out a good yeast to use that will not impart any additional flavor and accentuate the hoppyness in the beer. Something that has very high attenuation as well.

Can you guys recommend a good yeast for this purpose? I'm new-ish to brewing and just starting to learn about the different strains of yeast. Would WLP090- San Diego Super Yeast be a good choice? Maybe good ol' WLP001 will suffice?

WLP001 makes up a huge %age of White Labs production and for many brewers it's the only member of the Chico family they've ever used. So that's what they'll recommend just out of familiarity, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best one for the job. Heck, most people will say that WLP001 and Wyeast 1056 are the same strain, when closer inspection of both DNA and brewing performance, will show that they're not.

So it's worth poking around the other subfamilies of the Chico group, which all do things slightly differently and may be "better" for your purposes. WLP090 San Diego is a good example, you may not mind a bit less temperature flexibility in return for better flocculation than WLP001. The Pacman group that originated at Rogue also drop better than WLP001 - the Wyeast 1764 version is a rare PC release whereas A18 Joystick seems to be a core strain for Imperial. It's also worth mentioning that Wyeast 1217 is currently a Q1 seasonal release, allegedly from Stone and another one that's easier to work with than WLP001. Imperial's seasonal A30 Corporate is another derivative used at Elysian.

They're all broadly similar in that they're not going to start making English-style beer, they're all clean and pretty well attenuating, but at the same time they all have subtle differences.

I'd also question the basic premise of your question - a super clean yeast may not give you the best DIPA. If you take the example of Cloudwater, they use "British" yeasts from Conan to the decades-old multistrain from Lees to make DIPAs that took them last year to #2 on Ratebeer behind Hill Farmstead. But they obsess over yeast health - you can see the evolution of their thinking in the spreadsheet linked from this blog post.

Overpitching and a swift fermentation can dramatically increase the "cleanness" of the yeast's contribution, while also increasing some hop-derived compounds like geranyl isobutanoate.

I've never heard of using more than one yeast. What is the point?

Most traditional British breweries use multistrains up until at least the 1970s, and some still do, as a way of getting the best of both worlds. Typically a yeast that drops well won't attenuate well, but if you mix a yeast that drops well with one that attenuates well, you'll get good attenuation and the former will take out the latter when it drops. It also allows you to use a characterful yeast like Windsor with a cleaner but higher attenuating yeast like Nottingham, or to introduce additional complexity in the flavour by using a S-04/T-58/WB-06 like it seems Tree House use(d) for Julius.

Back