Yeast choices for summer brewing? High temp AND clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
I obviously do not have a fermentation closet, nor will I be able to swing one in the foreseeable future. My home has a basement which can be counted on to maintain temps in the 70-75 degree range without sending the electric bill into the stratosphere with outside temps in the 85-95F range as they will be here in Arkansas shortly.

My question is which ale yeasts would be a good choice to use at that temperature range with the fewest off flavors, etc. being added to the finished beer? I am not a Belgian fan, although I do plan a Farmhouse Ale this summer, nor do I do lagers, so I am talking American/English style ales primarily. I prefer malt over hops, but realize my options may be limited. Thanks for any advice offered.

You can make a swamp cooler pretty easily by putting your fermentation pail in a bathtub or igloo cooler. Just fill with water and add a couple frozen water bottles as needed to get the bath temp down between 60-65. You don't need to keep it that temp for very long; most off-flavors are produced during the first 48-72 hours.

Wyeast 1335 (British Ale II) has a recommended temp of 63-75, emphasizes malt and is generally pretty clean. 1332 and 1318 have similar temp ranges, but are maybe a little fruitier. 3522 is Belgian, but not in-your-face about it, tastes awesome, and can handle your basement without a swamp cooler.

You can make a swamp cooler pretty easily by putting your fermentation pail in a bathtub or igloo cooler. Just fill with water and add a couple frozen water bottles as needed to get the bath temp down between 60-65. You don't need to keep it that temp for very long; most off-flavors are produced during the first 48-72 hours.

Wyeast 1335 (British Ale II) has a recommended temp of 63-75, emphasizes malt and is generally pretty clean. 1332 and 1318 have similar temp ranges, but are maybe a little fruitier. 3522 is Belgian, but not in-your-face about it, tastes awesome, and can handle your basement without a swamp cooler.

+1 on the swamp cooler. Check our Nordeast's blog post on it. This is what I do and it works great.

+1 on the swamp cooler. Check our Nordeast's blog post on it. This is what I do and it works great.
Thanks guys. I thought about that and I can set something up with the info in the blog. Right now it is about 71F in here and I bet a wet towel draped over the pail will get it to 68 or so. Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I thought about that and I can set something up with the info in the blog. Right now it is about 71F in here and I bet a wet towel draped over the pail will get it to 68 or so. Thanks again.

:mug:

My upstairs bathroom was mid 70's and I fermented my Two Hearted clone at 63-64 degrees with only adding a single frozen 2L at a time.

Latest posts

Back