Yeast Cakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutteriteBrewing

Reaction score
Been at brewing beer for a bit now; got another (funny?) question.
After done with primary, you get this yeast cake in the bottom of the pail...is it only good to be rinsed and gotten rid off, or is there still some potential in that inch of bottom sediment?

Much potential. Look up yeast washing or saving. You can save $5 per batch by reusing that yeast!

Okay...I work with Extract Kits; how would I go about it? Mix it in without adding the yeast that comes with the kit?

It couldn't be easier! Pour the yeast cake into sanitized jars (mason jars work great), cover and put in your fridge. You will easily have enough yeast for 3-4 more batches that way. I normally pour the yeast cake into about 4 jars, and label them and stick them in the fridge.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=519995

I leave about a half inch of beer on top of it. Anyways, I can use some of that in my 23 litre batches n put the yeast from the Extract Kits to the side?

I leave about a half inch of beer on top of it. Anyways, I can use some of that in my 23 litre batches n put the yeast from the Extract Kits to the side?

Yes that simple, shake it to get the cake mixed in to the beer and pour off into sanitized containers, did it myself earlier today:mug:

I like to use the small pint sized mason jars with markings on the side of the glass. This will give you an idea of how much yeast you have once it compacts in the jar. So when going to make a starter, or direct pitching, you know how man mL of slurry you are pitching.

Back