Yeast Bay Amalgamation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IkeKrizzule

Reaction score
Just ordered this yeast and I've never done a beer with brett. Any recommendations on techniques? Ferment with something neutral first and finish with the brett? Just use the Brett? And if so should I make a starter?

Also is there a recipe you'd recommend trying with it?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just ordered this yeast and I've never done a beer with brett. Any recommendations on techniques? Ferment with something neutral first and finish with the brett? Just use the Brett? And if so should I make a starter?

Also is there a recipe you'd recommend trying with it?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

There are probably 100's of different ways/styles you could use Brettanomyces. Basically, you can do an all Brett fermentation or finish with Brett (usually in a secondary). Try to decide on a style and go from there. I like Saisons finished with Brett. For this style you would do the primary with your favorite Saison strain, ferment to completion, rack to a secondary and pitch your "Amalgamation". As this is a blend of several Brett strains a starter is not recommended since the propagation could favor one or more strains over others. However, if the package is old or mishandled, you may want to make a starter and hope for the best.

There are probably 100's of different ways/styles you could use Brettanomyces. Basically, you can do an all Brett fermentation or finish with Brett (usually in a secondary). Try to decide on a style and go from there. I like Saisons finished with Brett. For this style you would do the primary with your favorite Saison strain, ferment to completion, rack to a secondary and pitch your "Amalgamation". As this is a blend of several Brett strains a starter is not recommended since the propagation could favor one or more strains over others. However, if the package is old or mishandled, you may want to make a starter and hope for the best.

Agree with this 100%! Love Saisons finished with Brett. If IkeKrizzule wants to make a starter to use it for primary though, probably okay according to the Yeast Bay website:

"While we typically do not recommend starters for blends as there is a possibility that the proportions of organisms may change and produce a slightly different character than intended, we understand that it will at times be necessary. The risk of significantly changing the proportions of organisms is lower in blends that contain all the same type of organism (i.e. only Brettanomyces or Saccharomyces)."

Back